Author Topic: Bow stringers build along (lots of pics)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline superdav95

Bow stringers build along (lots of pics)
« on: November 11, 2023, 05:25:53 pm »
Hey guys.  I had been asked to make a post of my bow stringers.  One of the stringers seen in this post I sent to Arvin so I don’t have it any more but easy to make.  Actually both are easy to make if you’ve got little bit of leather.  You’ll notice the leather I’m using approx 4-5mm thick.  I’d recommend this for stiffnesses.  The leather I have here is veg tanned and waxed flesh side.  I bought a bunch from saddle shop closing.  Untreated leather is fine too you may just want to fit a finish on it to keep unwanted stains or oils on it.  Functional either way.  Anyway here’s the pics of how I built mine.  There are many ways to do these.  The set I sent away is a copy of a version I saw on meadowlark bows channel.  The one I use at the moment is the more basic one that I copied from Ed k on here as bow Ed.  Enjoy the build along. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 07:01:34 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Bow stringers build along (lots of pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 05:41:54 pm »
More pics…. I made my holes using a four legged punch to keep my marks consistent.  I skipped every other hole when I started using the awl.  I know guys like their palm pal too.  Similar device can be used.  I like the awls from my knife sheath days it allows me to make quick work of sewing.  The last pic shows me poking the awl through initial hole leaving the long tag end through the leather layers.  Leave your tag end longer then you think.  Usually I leave little more then twice the length of length of surface area of where I need to sew.  Once you get your tag end through the first hole to start put your awl through the next hole all the way then pulling back to create a loop.  This tag end then goes through the loop.  Pull your awl out of this hole and pull tight.  I like to to pull it tight and bring the loop knot to the mid point of the 2 layers of leather.  Either way it’s still plenty strong but for asthetics.  You just keep up this pattern with putting the tag end through each loop on your awl.  When you get to the end of your sewing I like to double back into existing holes to double up on stitching.  I’ll do this a few and then cut my thread and put a dab of ca glue and tuck the cut end into one of my holes to hide it and secure it. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 05:52:30 pm »
Continuing,,,   

I use klebfest shoe glue to glue the sewing surfaces together first and clamp it.  Then I make my hole marks and start sewing.  It’s similar to barge cement I guess.  Contact cement will work too.  My awl is standard type.  I use a variety of threads larger in diameter.  Artificial sinew can work but can be loaded with too much wax and gums up your awl.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 06:01:51 pm »
Continued

Here you can see the difference between the top stringer and bottom one. The top one has a smaller section that covers the string loops to allow for the groove to be exposed.  The bottom one can cover the loop more as can be seen in the pics.  I use paracord and adjust the length as needed to suit my bow length and style. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 06:09:29 pm »
Here’s the pattern I used for the other kind I’ve made.   I started with cardboard on this one first and got my shape the way I wanted then transferred over to the leather.  This type would be theoretically stronger as the paracord into weaves with the loop.  There is also littl less sewing on this type.  Getting the initial pattern is the trick with this one. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 06:15:58 pm »
Here’s how I fold this one into shape…. The fleshy side of your piece is up so that when you fold over the side tabs then the long top tag over those side ones your good side leather is on top of that makes sense.  You can also see the black paracord interweave through the top piece of long folded over.  Both ends of your paracord are joined up through your hole through the 3 layers of leather that you would glue first then sew together.  It plenty strong. 

superdav95@gmail.com