Author Topic: Tulip Poplar Self Bow  (Read 1493 times)

Offline DPGladius

Tulip Poplar Self Bow
« on: August 14, 2023, 07:41:22 am »
I have seen several post talking about Poplar not being a good wood for bow making. That sounded like a challenge! Here is my 72 inch poplar self bow. I did add a black walnut handle and riser to simplify the build process. 2.5 inches at the fades, 1 inch tips, 45 pounds at a 29 inch draw. It shoots really well and has taken about a 1 inch set over the last few months but seems to have stabilized.

Offline superdav95

Re: Tulip Poplar Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 08:19:00 am »
Congrats.  Well done.  I would have thought it would have been too soft.  Did you heat treat it or just a raw build. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 01:34:44 pm »

Welcome.

The tulip poplar is also known as the tulip tree or the yellow poplar. It is a hardwood tree that's native to most of the eastern United States. It is not a true poplar tree but instead is a member of the magnolia tree family.

aspen and cottonwood are "true" poplars and may be what you have heard are too soft.  Keep us posted how it shoots!

72" seems plenty long. As long as there is sufficient width for the draw weight you are shooting for, and enough of the limb is working, then you should be able to make a nice bow out of Liriodendron tulipifera

more pics!

Offline DPGladius

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 02:33:11 pm »
SuperDav and Willie, Thank you for the comments. I was looking at several of my self bows including the Tulip Poplar one and can't believe how wide it looks. I guess that variety is the spice of life.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 06:52:57 pm »
Those look like fine bows.  Yes the width would help as stated. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 10:43:28 pm »
SuperDav and Willie, Thank you for the comments. I was looking at several of my self bows including the Tulip Poplar one and can't believe how wide it looks. I guess that variety is the spice of life.

your handles look cool. Others who have tried simple glue on styles have had pop-off issues

would you mind posting closeups of the handles on your bows and offer comments
about your techniques?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 10:29:32 am »
There have been a few tulip poplar bows posted here over the years. I think Ryan Yoon posted one a year or so ago. Good for you for trying a "different" wood to build a bow and for using a length and design to better handle this different wood.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DPGladius

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 10:03:59 am »
your handles look cool. Others who have tried simple glue on styles have had pop-off issues
would you mind posting closeups of the handles on your bows and offer comments
about your techniques?

I have been using Black Walnut for my "Glue On" handles. I think the main key is to attach the handles before you do any flexing of the bow. It seem even a little bit of floor tillering will give the wood a memory of flexing and can cause the handle glue joint to fail.

I also use my rasp on both surfaces to raise some wood fibers to give the glue joint a better mechanical bond. I have been using Tite Bond 2 glue without any issues.

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 12:29:44 pm »
nice details. especially the spliced belly lam.

are most of your bows fairly long? what are their draweights?  you seem to be able to glue on handles where others have failures. I have never used much TB2, as its too quick drying, but maybe it sets up harder than tb3 which many here like?