Author Topic: Questions on hickory-backed-osage bows  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Questions on hickory-backed-osage bows
« on: August 12, 2023, 08:09:46 pm »
First, my thought with respect to design is to keep it simple: 60 inches tip-to-tip, and one inch wide from mid-limb through the handle to the midpoint of the other limb, then tapering down to half inch nocks. Will this work well for a hickory-backed-osage bow, assuming I do not botch the tillering? I will probably glue in about 2 inches of reflex, with the hope of ending up with a nearly flat side-view profile once the bow is shot in.

Also, how perfect does the belly core have to be as far as straight grain and knots? I have made a couple bamboo- and hickory-backed ipe bows, and was very picky about the belly cores, at great expense. Perhaps more picky than I needed to be.

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Questions on hickory-backed-osage bows
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 08:58:59 pm »
Well I don’t think that’s a good design. Just saying. I wish you luck though. May work on a 25-30 pound draw bow.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 09:02:33 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 11:16:51 pm »
What draw length and draw weight are you shooting for, Eric?  Will this be from a board or split stave? I think it is possible for a hunting weight bow.  You can get by with some flaws in the belly but the cleaner the better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 06:04:28 am »
Sorry for that oversight Pat. I am trying for a 45-50 pound draw at 22 or 23 inches. I plan on buying an osage board for the belly core.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 09:04:03 am »
I think it is very doable. You'll probably have a rounded belly and I think you can reach 25" to 26" draw if you want.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 10:57:43 am »
Thanks Pat. Do you have any thoughts on the design? Would I be better off, for example, with a pyramid front-view profile?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 01:00:46 pm »
A pyramid style bow is a great all around design and would work fine here but your design should work fine too. The only thing I would change is go 1 1/4" to 1 3/8" at the widest but that's just me. Osage can handle 1" width just fine. If your hickory backing is 1/8" I think you could go a little thinner but not too much.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 02:16:46 pm »
Eric.  Are you looking for some quarter sawn Osage for
The belly?   Or are you gonna try some belly off cuts from staves?   I was considering this myself as I have plenty of hickory lol.  I’d be interested is this project of yours too when you start.  I think narrow design would also be a great option.  I don’t have any experience with quarter sawn Osage for belly wood to give any advise but can’t see why I would not go for it and see.  I could see the combination working well.   I may be inclined to raw hide as well though for hunting bow.  Best of luck.  Keep us posted. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 03:33:59 pm »
I have an Osage hickory backed bow. My son bought the glue up you finish bow from Rudders I believe. The Osage when filed with a rough rasp would blow out on the edges. Never saw Osage do that. By using rough cut sand paper I managed a nice shooting 40 lb bow from it though. Their are many grades of Osage out their. Some good, and some not so good. I would rather make a bow from a good piece of white oak, or elm etc. than from a bad piece of Osage. Hope you find what you want.