Author Topic: how much do statics affect apparent draw weight?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
how much do statics affect apparent draw weight?
« on: August 07, 2023, 01:07:22 pm »
If I build a bow with statics, is there a way of calculating how much they will reduce apparent draw weight?

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: how much do statics affect apparent draw weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 01:22:59 pm »
You could always do a force draw curve by measuring the draw weight of the bow at each inch along the entire draw length.  Then you would know exactly how (or if) it affects it?
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 01:52:54 pm »
The draw weight is what you make it. Performance can be improved by adding static recurves and that will depend on their length of the static area and degree of bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 09:02:22 pm »
Just be aware that the recurves will make the early string tension higher. It will be harder to brace and feel heavier than it is if you are use to a straight limb bow.

I know the first couple recurves I made tricked me into thinking that they were heavier than they were and I came up lighter than I expected.

Bjrogg

PS statics recurves actually increase draw weight. If you recurve a straight bow it will increase the draw weight. Probably about 5 to ten pounds? Depending on weight, length and reflex.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 09:06:09 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 07:33:43 pm »
Static’s make  the working  limb shorter and that makes the bow stack . Making the bow feel like a higher draw weight. My opinion. Yes I’m sure if I’m wrong someone will be glad to correct me. Please do.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 07:57:05 pm »
  I think it does just the opposite Arvin, higher early draw weight and a slower build in the last inches. I don't think working limb has much affect on the force draw curve as long as angles are maintained.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:23:12 pm »
I feel early string tension as when the string is touching the belly it is acting like a shorter bow.

As the string lifts off the belly it becomes a longer bow again.

I feel like Badger . I feel less stacking at full draw.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 09:37:33 pm »
You could always do a force draw curve by measuring the draw weight of the bow at each inch along the entire draw length.  Then you would know exactly how (or if) it affects it?

Yes agreed.  There are excel spreadsheets downloadable online to help you with plugging in your numbers.  Stacking is the rapid increase in draw weight beyond the intended draw length of the bow.  Beyond the 2-3lbs increase per inch draw is a good indicator that bow is beginning to stack and reaching it’s limit for draw length.  Adding levers or siyahs that are static will increase early draw weight.  I would say that recurves that are static would do the same.  The benefit of the recurves or statics recurves is the improved string angle and lessoned stacking as well as concentrating the bend in a shorter portion of the limb.  Focusing the bend to where maximum efficiency can be had.    All bows reach a point where they hit a wall of sorts of dramatic increase in draw weight in lbs past the recommended safe force draw curve.  I’ve heard that 2-3 pounds per inch increase draw length is a good rule of thumb.   This is generally what I use for my bows.  I learned this little trick from Simon (simson) on here.  He would post his draw numbers with some of his bows as a visual of a good force draw curve.  I would look into the spreadsheet option.  Best of luck. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2023, 04:24:45 pm »
I new y’all would get me straight!🤠🤠🤠

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 04:31:06 pm »
How is a static different from a non bending reflex of7-9” of the same distance from back of limb. Just asking.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2023, 06:39:43 pm »
How is a static different from a non bending reflex of7-9” of the same distance from back of limb. Just asking.

If I understand correctly, I think the contact area impacting string length or how close the limb is parallel to the string makes up for the difference. A contact recurve would have a shorter relative string length at brace given the string is experiencing a different force between where it contacts the limb.