Author Topic: Resizing photos  (Read 984 times)

Offline Little John

Resizing photos
« on: June 27, 2023, 10:13:45 am »
I can not post photos, I set my camera on the lowest setting but still get 730 kb photos. I used to never have problems.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Resizing photos
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 10:39:34 am »
Kenneth, I use Imgur, a free photo hosting site that will resize pics specifically for posting on forums. Once you get the hang of it it is pretty simple. Are you taking the pics with your phone or or on a PC? If the phone I don't know the process for them. I do it all on my laptop or desk top.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 11:13:26 am »
Pat,I take the photos with dslr camera and then download to laptop camera.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 12:32:45 pm »
Kenneth, if you can resize to 640x480 it should go. That's what most forums require.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:41:46 pm »
In a pinch for photos you can use your phone camera and using google photos and resize them as you post them.  It gives you the option to select the size of the photo in kb. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 01:41:24 pm »
Kenneth, if you can resize to 640x480 it should go. That's what most forums require.

rescaling to 640 x 480 or thereabouts is appropiate for rendering nicely on the forum page and usually brings the file size down to under 250K when the pic was taken with most phones.

using a dslr though may still result in a file size that is over the kb limit.
since your camera is already set at its lowest setting, I reccomend looking at the laptop app you use to rescale and seeing if it allows you to save a copy at a higher compression.

so if your camera makes jpegs, "save-as"  the rescaled jpeg to 50% compression and see what the file size is.

if your camera does not make jpegs or you are trying change file types in your laptop program, there are other ways to skin this cat, but I would need to know more details about your camera settings and laptop app to be able to help more

Offline airkah

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 01:52:48 pm »
I also usually take photos om a dslr and then download the raw file to the computer. I use imgur like Pat does. I know ots an extra step tp uploaf them somewhere else, bur It makes it really easy to get your photos posted here.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 04:59:41 pm »
I email the photos to myself and my email service asks me if I want to send them as small, medium or large.  Medium works well for uploading to PA

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 05:42:07 pm »
Thanks every one. The only one I have been able to post is one my wife emailed to me so the email thing works. I also found that if I right click the image it comes up with a menu with a resize option, I got one resized so now to see if it will post, thanks.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 10:21:41 am »
Kenneth, I use Imgur, a free photo hosting site that will resize pics specifically for posting on forums. Once you get the hang of it it is pretty simple. Are you taking the pics with your phone or or on a PC? If the phone I don't know the process for them. I do it all on my laptop or desk top.

1) You don't have to resize pics at all to post on forums from Imgur, they just upload directly at the higher resolution with no complaints from any forum I have used.
2) The Imgur app will upload direct from your phone with no problems.

For instance, this picture is 5312x2988 pixels and the file size is 5.78Mb on my computer. I uploaded it to Imgur unaltered at the original size/resolution and then simply used the BBCode link from Imgur to insert it here. The forum happily takes it and resizes the image to suit with no additional steps required by myself. If you want to see it full size then you can click on it and get full resolution so you can see any details you like.

I use imgur like Pat does. I know ots an extra step tp uploaf them somewhere else, bur It makes it really easy to get your photos posted here.

Considering all the contortions people go through to resize photos to postage stamp size just to accommodate outdated forum software, uploading to Imgur and linking to that seems the simpler and much superior route. You don't have multiple versions of your pictures floating around at different resolutions on your computer or phone and people get to look at a picture that is big enough to see some detail. The pics uploaded to the forum here at low res are virtually useless to look at if you want to see anything more than a very basic overall view.

Mark

Offline Little John

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 11:09:06 am »
Practi ing

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 11:10:53 am »
Found the resize button on the smart phone. Works good.