Author Topic: 50# selfbow Osage  (Read 2553 times)

Offline bassman211

Re: 50# selfbow Osage
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2023, 05:48:14 pm »
Would like to see you make one from a good piece of hickory, and elm, and black locust.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2023, 05:57:19 pm »
Sleek I’ll test it in flight but this design does not do so good in flight so far. Comes up 20-30 yards short.

I REALLY shouldn't say this if I wanna keep my record buuutt..... 20 to 30 yards ain't nothin. That's just one good arrow and a perfect release away from breaking my record.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2023, 08:12:38 pm »
Nice looking bow Arvin.

I’m always telling my wife I want to get Astro turf.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline superdav95

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 09:20:42 pm »
Looking good Arvin!  Best of luck with it and hope it does well for ya. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 04:44:34 pm »
Thanks guys for the kind words.i got this bow in the mail today. No string though. Maybe I can get Pat to help me build a string for it get it strung and test it at the Classic. I’m curious to see how the crab bows compare to selfbows in broadhead ?
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 04:48:12 pm »
Pic

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 06:06:38 pm »
Would like to see you make one from a good piece of hickory, and elm, and black locust.

Yes I think you are right with that wide pyramid it might be a good combo. I don’t have any good wide flat back dry hickory though. Maybe some one could try that. Interesting.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 07:17:22 pm »
Pic

Arvin.  Glad to see it arrived ok and in one piece.  The test string I used for this bow was from another horn bow actually and was b55.  Your d97 string material would be better for your testing for sure.  I can send the test string in the mail if you like???   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 08:24:07 pm »
Just loop size and length would work fine.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 10:26:31 pm »

The string I used for testing was 60 1/2” long with 1 1/2-2” loops would work.  You could go with just a 60 1/4” even and play with your length of loops.  The strings saddles will accommodate much larger loops too.  Let me know and I can send off this test string in the mail.  It’s not a great sting but will work.  I was gonna make a proper string for it with my endless loop jig but I figured you’d want a d97 string for your testing so I didn’t bother.  Use the custom stringer I sent when you do string it up.  There’s a good 13” of reflex in that thing.  I posted the short vid for you on the build towards the end to show the stringing it up.  Keep in touch. 

Cheers. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2023, 11:41:36 am »

The string I used for testing was 60 1/2” long with 1 1/2-2” loops would work.  You could go with just a 60 1/4” even and play with your length of loops.  The strings saddles will accommodate much larger loops too.  Let me know and I can send off this test string in the mail.  It’s not a great sting but will work.  I was gonna make a proper string for it with my endless loop jig but I figured you’d want a d97 string for your testing so I didn’t bother.  Use the custom stringer I sent when you do string it up.  There’s a good 13” of reflex in that thing.  I posted the short vid for you on the build towards the end to show the stringing it up.  Keep in touch. 

Cheers.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2023, 11:45:44 am »
Thanks Dave that should be enough info. What kind of brace ht ? from belly side of handle? Thanks again it’s a beauty.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2023, 03:41:51 pm »
Thanks Dave that should be enough info. What kind of brace ht ? from belly side of handle? Thanks again it’s a beauty.

I should have written that down.  If I recall is was about 5.75-6” from the belly horn lam at deepest point to the string.  That is what I used for testing anyway.  Horn bows don’t usually have handle like this that fade/tapers inward like this bow does.  That’s why I measured from the belly lam at deepest point.  Play around with this as you may find the brace the works for you.  I don’t mind a lower then normal brace personally as it gives me a longer power stroke I find.  The main disadvantage is a little wrist slap but nothing significant. 

I had some issues initially with getting consistent readings on my chrono the first day but following day I was able to get more consistent reading in low 180’s fps with a 400 and 450grain arrow.  That was with the test string of b55.  Mid 180’s readings using a lighter arrow.  Warm it up a bit by exercising the limbs  and spend some time getting it balanced before shooting right away as it will perform better too and even out the bend nice on the limbs.   These all natural bows with horn and sinew take some initial care to get ready to shoot but worth the little extra time and work.  I put about 150-200 arrows through this bow and then cleaned it up and put several coats of true oil.  You’ll mark up the arrow pass a bit when shooting so You could put a small piece of material there to protect the finish if concerned about it.  Hope you enjoy it my friend.   

superdav95@gmail.com