Author Topic: Guava bow  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Guava bow
« on: May 11, 2023, 11:14:52 pm »
Hey, Y’all,

I finally got my hands on some strawberry guava wood, having been inspired by Manny’s guava creations he posted years ago.  Most of his bows were regular guava, but strawberry guava was more accessible to me and also pretty straight.  I harvested a couple of small trees while visiting a friend in Honolulu, and managed to get one of them through USDA inspection as luggage.  (They’re very particular about what leaves the island, and the inspector found an ant in a knot on one of my logs and rejected it.)

The surviving log was only 2 1/2” in diameter, which presented challenges.  Once I got it home, I ripped it down the middle, de-barked, sealed, and let the staves dry for a year. 

This wood is resistant to heat-bending — I could only get a bit of recurve at the tips.  On the other hand, it’s also resistant to taking set.  It’s a very dense wood at .8+ SG, and clogs up a rasp, so I did a whole lot of scraping.

Since this stave had such a high crown, I opted to try my first HLD profile.  The stave was pretty straight, except for a kink in the lower limb.

I built up the thin handle with some Osage & ebony, and did the same for the tips.  Gave it a goat hide handle wrap and stained it to darkened it up a bit.

It’s 67” ntn and pulls 70#@26”.  This sucker shoots straight, quiet and packs a punch.  I wanted it on the hefty side to hunt hearty hogs, hopefully back on Oahu someday.

Offline superdav95

Re: Guava bow
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 11:28:38 pm »
Wow very cool bow and interesting story with it.  Looks pretty dang sweet to me.  Nicely done.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 08:32:33 am »
Great looking bow! A little hefty for me now but it shouldn't have a problem punching through a hog.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 03:00:25 pm »
Nice bow Tom!  Tiller looks great. Beautiful wood

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 04:50:28 pm »
Nice bow Tom well done.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2023, 05:56:42 am »
F/D Pics makes my elbows a bit stiff with that 70lb draw. Really like everything about the bow. Hope it makes you some bacon.
Mike 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 06:07:04 am »
Nice work Tom. Good luck with the hogs.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 09:49:28 am »
Thanks for the kind words, guys.  And by the way, I only draw closer to 24”, so I only pull this one in the low 60’s, which about maxes my arm out these days.  Lost some strength over the winter due to a back problem, but I’m back in the saddle now.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 10:41:57 am »
Very cool. Manny’s bows were inspiring. Awesome to see uncommon woods being used. Looks like you did it justice!

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2023, 11:12:18 am »
Here’s the habitat for both invasives — strawberry guava and feral hogs.  I’m pretty sure the gouges on the tree are from boar tusks.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 02:46:29 pm »
Very cool.  I was just in panama and tried to bring back a piece of Argentina Osage but it was not gona happen.  Canada is pretty rigid on bringing that kind of stuff in so didn’t pursue it heavily.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 07:49:37 am »
Nice job, sweet looking bow. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 07:57:51 am »
Good looking bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 03:34:47 pm »
Thanks, Pappy & Marc!

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 07:54:21 pm »
Nice guava bow!

When I was in Hawaii last summer I poked around looking for bow wood potential...and I came across one species, of which I completely forget the name. But it was heavy and hard, and by its description sounded promising.

The other extremely interesting piece of info I learned (that others probably already know) from researching native history in Hawaii was that they hardly used the bow! Most of what I read stated that bows and arrows were either kids’ toys, or were used to pick off pesky rats. The rat bows were small and low draw weight, perfect for their use, of course.

But for hunting, and warfare, the native population preferred other weaponry (like their amazing shark-toothed clubs).