Author Topic: NEED HELP MAKING A TILLERING BOARD/STICK  (Read 12725 times)

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
NEED HELP MAKING A TILLERING BOARD/STICK
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:26:25 pm »
Howdy,ya ll I'm new to primitive archery and I have many questions about building my first bow. I just started on one, I've only sanding and shaping the limbs,but when it comes to using a tillering board or stick I'm lost on deminitions for one. what i'm trying to is what a good overall length?,how long does the first peg or notch have to from the spot the bow handle sits in ? I have read TRADITIONAL BOWYERS BIBLE, CHEROKEE BOWS AND ARROWS AND BENT STICK. but none them give really any kind of plans or deminitions. please can anyone help me
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:29:31 pm by ricochet »
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline recurve shooter

Re: NEED HELP MAKING A TILLERING BOARD/STICK
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »
well, im new to, but as far as i know, ya jist get a 2X6 and nail two nails in real good up top, this is for  your handle to rest on, then nail another nail in every inch or so for about 5 feet down. like i say, im not a pro, but i think thats what ya do. ya better wait for the old guys to chime in though.

by the way, welcome to our adiction. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 11:32:06 pm »
I built a couple different kinds. one was 2x4 with pegs. this worked but I didnt know what I was doing (still dont) and cut into the 2x4 for the place the bow handle sits. this caused a twist when pulled. Dont do this. keep your string aligned. if you are going to build a peg tillering stick build your bow holder out from the board. not cut recessed into the end of the board. Lesson learned. threw that one away recently. 

Lots of pics out on the net and even some Utube stuff. just search tillering tree or tillering board. there is lots of links to plans. here is only one. http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000437;p=0

This is what mine looks like now. works better for me. plus with the pulleys you lessen the amt of draw you are doing when you work the bow.

I started at approx 4 inches from the handle. did every inch marks and made it quite a bit longer than my draw. say 12" so I could attach a pully at bottom.

Dont know if it is right or wrong but works for me.
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:18:22 am »
I think its Jawges Site that has some good directions for a Tiller Stick....check it out
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 12:40:44 am »
I think its Jawges Site that has some good directions for a Tiller Stick....check it out
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Hahahahaha!  Now thats really funny ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D..............bob                                       

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:34:24 am »
I thought someone would get a Kick out of that!! And I really expected Jawge to Chime in about His experiences with Tiller Stick!!!

I use a Tiller Tree mounted on my Garage Wall for all my work now....I don't trust a Stick too much myself....after blowing up a couple in your face....you tend to get Gun Shy....I still have mine and use it for some stuff ...but not like before...Mainly to take pictures of Bow on!!!

My Tree is made from an Oak 1x4...I cut a Saddle in the top 2 1/2 inches deep...and 2 inches wide...padded it with Saddle Leather....I measured down 5 inches and marked off my first notch...and marked one every inch there after for 30 inches total....I then went back with a Speed Square....and marked all notches at a 45 degree angle...make the notches a 1/4 wide....and since I had a 1X4....which is really only 3 -5/8" ...... I measured in 1 -11/16" so my String would be centered....thats about all of the technical stuff....the rest is just cutting it out!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:58:27 am »
George will come through that computer and slap some sense into you for saying that.  I prefer the tillering tree myself, its much safer.  Right George.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 07:46:17 am »
Dang Justin.....Is He on Vacation or what????? Try to get a rise out of Him....and He still hasn't chimed in yet......this ain't like Him!!!

Come out and Play.....Jawge
                                                                        >:D >:D >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricochet

• HOWDY FROM TEXAS
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:04 pm »
THANKS YALL FOR ALL THE IDEAS AND ADVICE. NOW ITS TIME TO GET BUSY AND ITCH MY PRIMITIVE SCRATCH.
God fearing and lovin backwoodsman

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:18:04 pm »
LOL, EL. This is the new mellow Jawge.  :)
See Bow Making Directions on my site, richochet,  for a nice easy to make portable tiller tree that fits in my vice. Easier to make is one like EL's. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:27:39 am »
Here we go,get out the pop corn. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good