Author Topic: Tiller check on character hackberry  (Read 747 times)

Offline WindhoverMark

Tiller check on character hackberry
« on: December 12, 2022, 11:15:16 am »
Current stats:
64" NTN
A hair over 50# at 28"
1.75" typical width narrowing to 1/2" for the last 6"
It really makes me wish I shot lefty. Was thinking about getting a thumb ring and shooting it off the other side...

The natural deflex in the left limb and that little hump in the middle of the right limb are really making this one tough for me. I've tried straightening it a couple times, but those spots just come back as soon as I put a string back on it. It feels reasonably balanced in the hand, but it's definitely not quite right.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tiller check on character hackberry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 12:04:26 pm »
From mid limb out never moved from pic one to the last pic. I would get that moving more, otherwise, you will end up with a lot of set in the inner portion of each limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline diliviu

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 05:49:21 am »
Looking quite good!
I would let those 2 natural deflexes just a tad stiffer and also weaken a little the whole right limb (a little too much positive tiller).
You would probably end up with 40+ at 28.
You have also started a little hinge in the left outer limb imo.
So I would work quite minimal on the left limb except the deflex and the hinge zones. And a little more on the right limb except the deflex zone.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:10:02 am by diliviu »

Offline WindhoverMark

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 09:21:13 am »
Thank you both. I did some work on it last night and it's still a bit uneven to my eye so I'm going to do a bit more work and then I'll post an updated photo later this evening.

Offline WindhoverMark

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 11:01:57 am »
Here is an updated picture of where it is as of this morning. I worked the outer on the left just a bit and tried to get the right to a more even bend. At this point I think I should focus on the outers the most and I see a flat spot mid limb on the left.

Currently 46# at 28"