Author Topic: Salt & Pepper Bow/plenty of pics  (Read 6415 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Salt & Pepper Bow/plenty of pics
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 01:14:58 pm »
Thanks fellas....
I had been waiting for quite some time for a bow to accomodate the small amount of king snake skin I had.It was just enough.The amount helped sway me to making this type bow.
I think I can speak for other bowyers in that every bow made is a journey.Hopefully it's basically a trouble free one with minor problems easily solved.Some just take longer than others.It's the only way I know how to learn.
It's good to see large group of excellent bowyers on here again like there used to be 10 years ago.They showed 1 terrific bow after another back then.Many have left,but have been replaced.I do stay in touch with a few yet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:08:45 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2022, 10:59:21 pm »
Nice work. Bet that bow would be hell to string with out a stringer. super reflex. :BB

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2022, 07:45:07 am »
It's possible and I've done it but it is more touchy then.Using the primitive stringer eliminates that.I'm not a fan of the step through method of stringing,but doing that properly every time can work too.I'm not that good doing it.It can strain 1 limb more than another over time to change it's tiller even on a bow without much reflex.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:04:11 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2022, 03:48:59 pm »
how do you string it,, I dont think I have seen your stringer,, anything to avoid tiller shifting is good (-S

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 06:40:22 am »
how do you string it,, I dont think I have seen your stringer,, anything to avoid tiller shifting is good (-S
It can happen I can attest to that.There's a limit as to how much reflex it can string though.I'll go to a peg board then.This one is 11.25" of reflex.Going over 12" and farther like I said I go to a peg board.It can depend on the amount of static bend that is on a tip also.Picture of the stringer is on previous page.

My right hand is doing all the pulling.The left hand is there just to steady it.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 08:33:55 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 04:02:33 pm »
thank you so much,, and details on the leather grips,, :) I would like to make one

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2022, 09:29:02 pm »
Here's another made from beef rawhide for square tips with a braided clothes line.Some times used to brace a bow before string grooves are filed in or to see the bend of the limbs long stringing to brace height.
This one used to not stress the limbs much before heat treating or sinewing.Then it's used to reverse brace a bow after sinewing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:44:51 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2022, 06:59:10 pm »
thank you for the stringing info,, :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2022, 08:49:15 am »
A tid-bit of info also why I like to use that primitive stringer with these higher reflexed composite bows.
Part of the learning curve getting to know these composite bows.
Sinew or horn is a lot more elastic than wood.It will take a bend more easily.This can depend on the percentage of thickness of composite material the limb has.Higher percentage above 50%/more elastic.It also depends on the area of the handle the pressure is on while stringing them.Stringing them unbalanced will show a bow out of tiller at brace.Then the bows' string on the stronger limb will need to be pressed down immediately to balance the brace.
This bow was in tiller after I braced it,so no pressure was needed,but placement of my hand or the innertube shows the fix here.

If it's extreme I use an inner tube on the stronger limb a few minutes to balance it moving the inner tube closer to the handle for more pressure.Sometimes even then slow removal of material/lots of excersizing is the only way to get them balanced.
When releasing the pressure the bow will show you.
After releasing I let it set a few minutes or more to be satisfied with the look of it.Most times I let it set a few minutes.Pull it to full draw a few times.Check the balance and it's good to go.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:11:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline simk

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2022, 04:14:25 pm »
Thanks Ed, one more good purpose for those innertubes! Sometimes the edgy bows shift tiller a little 😄
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2022, 08:21:04 pm »
Your so right Simon.A little removal can make a difference.
Once settled in good there are no problems then and they stay balanced.I don't want anyone to feel that it's that overwhelming to get a string on these type bows.

Guess a person could say I have an obsession for reflex.....Here's a few pictures of a different bow/similar style that I made some time ago.60" TTT. 48#'s @ 28".Before tillering it rested with 15" of reflex.After tillering and shooting it in it rests with 12".
Most reflex I've ever tillered a bow from myself.
Outstanding performance numbers from this bow.
Before tillering.

after tillering.

At brace.String dead nuts down the center.

full draw.

The primitive stringer was just enough to get a string on this one.This bow draws smooth as butter.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 09:55:17 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2022, 09:55:10 am »
I saw BJrogg's post about Ed's extreme profiles on the Elm thread and had to do a search.  I don't know how I missed this one, but it deserves a bump.  That is a sweet bow and crazy profile!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2022, 11:23:12 am »
I thought I was up to date on this thread, but missed those last photos as well.  That is really a shocking amount of reflex!

Offline bassman211

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2022, 07:37:44 pm »
If their is a perfect bow you are building them Ed. Your bows are some thing special. You are right up their with the best of the best.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2022, 09:31:53 pm »
I just threw that bow out there a little while ago to show others not to be afraid to push the envelope.
The bow should be drawn to about 30" to really appreciate it's performance.
A lot of heartache can happen along the way,but in the end it's worth it to me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 01:05:57 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed