Author Topic: Any sheds?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Any sheds?
« on: April 05, 2022, 11:43:16 am »
I only found 1 shed so far on this meager 30 acres of woods here.This one should be pretty nice sized next year.Over the years we keep finding a few and hang them on our guard rail.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 12:21:19 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Any sheds?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 12:39:02 pm »
We've liver here since 1990 and have only found two drops. One was quite impressive, 28" main beam and 5 points. It was still fresh but the rodents had already started eating on it. The other was only about 5" of the base end of the antler, the rest had been gnawed. I've walked these and the surrounding woods looking for sheds but they either get eaten or they just don't drop there here.
 At my old hunting club in GA we found shed all the time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 12:52:11 pm »
Haven’t found one in awhile but this is my favorite. Was laying on ground like this . Points sticking in ground.

Rodents naw in a couple spots.

Always looking for the right place to use it

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 02:18:17 pm »
Yes the rodents can and will get to them.I looked earlier through these woods,but did'nt see any to avoid the chewing.Many times though they do not get chewed upon here.
The search needs to be done before the grass emerges.
Surveying the row crop ground I do once in a while too.If layed the wrong way a flat tire will happen on the equipment.
I saw a few remnants of dead deer bones while looking too.1 completely intact yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 12:14:17 am »
I just haven't had the time to get out and shed hunt this season but we did find a couple of really nice 4 point mulley sheds in the yard.  One was still bleeding.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:01 am »
I have only found one little one this year.  Someone told me recently that they saw a buck with one antler still - that was in March, which seems really late, so this could just be a funny year.  November and December were mild, so maybe that effects things?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 12:35:48 pm »
When the rut ends the buck's testosterone levels drop and shortly after that the antlers drop. As long as there are unbred does still around the bucks keep going after them.
 Years ago my wife went to Cade's Cove in the Great Smokey's to photograph the deer and bears. This was in March and the 2 dominant bucks were in full battle mode and were fighting and chasing does. All the other bucks had already lost their antlers except these two dominant bucks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 03:12:32 pm »
I've seen antlers dropped in december and on them still in late february.Some injure them selves or get injured during the rut.It's a matter of nutrition.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 06:37:35 pm »
My son found this one last April while turkey hunting, longest tine is 11".  Pretty narrow rack, but a dandy.  We did not see that one hunting last fall unfortunately...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 08:46:37 pm »
Nice.
BowEd
Ed

Offline M2A

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 09:26:48 am »
I use to find about 1 shed a year just going about my business, usually little stuff. When the other guys at work find a shed they usually would drop it off in my office. Cut up several of those small sheds to use for overlays or for knapping. The last few years a couple different folks have been looking over the farm for them as a hobby and I dont always hear about what they find. I found the one on the right below last year. The one on the left a fella at work found a few weeks ago along a fence row. Just found out a few days ago the match was found to it, but doubt Ill hear any more about that shed. Anyway these are the nicest sheds found in some time that I know of around here.
IMG_4533 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Like Ed said above If laying the wrong way they can present a hazard. Took this picture a few years ago, tine broke off in rear tire, About a day long repair job to fix that. Seen it 3 times in the last 30 years or so.
IMG_3789 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr               

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
I had a shed get the tire of my pick up once while fetching dogs treed from out of a river bottom.
Tire salesman did'nt give me a new one though even though I suggested it was hazardous outcome.....ha ha.
Changed the tire and it was broke off still inside rattling around.
BowEd
Ed

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 10:20:03 am »
This is what I do with them