Author Topic: Long term effects of heat treating bows  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Nasr

Long term effects of heat treating bows
« on: January 31, 2022, 10:45:08 pm »
I would like to know if anyone has made and shot a heat treated bow and documented whether the changes are permanent. I have heat treated bows and know first hand the benefits a white wood bow gains from it. I however never shot it long enough to know whether the effects are permanent. I usually give most of my bows out and never end up with one long enough to know. I have come across people arguing that the change isn’t permanent and that white wood will eventually revert to its previous state. Now I understand from reading previous posts that it is believed the woods cell structure is changed during the process so I personally can’t see how it would revert back. But thought I would ask the experts here on this matter.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:10:14 pm by Nasr »

bownarra

Re: Long term effects of heat treating bows
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 01:50:53 am »
It is permanaent.
That is not to say the bow couldn't take more set or start to break down later on but that would be an issue with tillering not heat treating somehow undoing itself!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 11:10:30 am »
Guys on here have bows heat treated almost 20 years ago that are holding up fine.  That's long enough.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 03:26:29 pm »
Guys on here have bows heat treated almost 20 years ago that are holding up fine.  That's long enough.

Lol it sure is. I’ve been learning a lot about how little I know. I thought I wouldn’t assume I know the answer and ask but 20 years is incredibly long time. If that ain’t permanent I don’t know what is.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 03:31:47 pm »
My heated treated bows have held their reflex after years of use.
Gordon

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 03:58:55 pm »
My heated treated bows have held their reflex after years of use.

I have admired your work since I’ve gotten into bow making. I have revisited your vine maple build a long many times through out the years. In fact I believe I have that build along saved on my computer.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 07:01:34 pm »
Thanks Nasr. The thing about heat treating is you need to get a deep enough effect that it will have staying power. If you just perform just a superficial scorching of the belly, it won't last.
Gordon

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 09:36:24 pm »
All interesting guys. I don’t know if I do it right or not. But by the time I get them boring straight they usually are probably heat treated. I give them all a one last belly heat end to end with the handle clamped and the tips clamped on the call. They still take some set most of the time. But I’m working on that.🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 11:11:07 pm »
interesting read.  I have heat treated all of my white wood bows except one.  my first one.  they all seem to lose a little bit of any reflex.  some little more some little less.  On a good tiller and good piece of wood with deep cook ill retain little over half of reflex.   I induce by clamping as others have stated but after tiller is complete and bow is shot in they hold up well in maintaining the remaining reflex and unbraced shape when complete.  let them sit for a day or so at least before tillering further after heat treating to allow it to acclimatize and rehydrate.  Ive had good luck with mine. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline neuse

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 10:03:56 am »
I am doing something wrong then.

When I heat treat and bend my Osage, for back set, or to make the limbs match, I always lose whatever bending I have done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 10:13:43 am »
Neuse, once you get your corrections made go back over the belly and add deeper heat treating. That should help hold the corrections in place.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Nasr

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2022, 03:48:58 pm »
Thanks Nasr. The thing about heat treating is you need to get a deep enough effect that it will have staying power. If you just perform just a superficial scorching of the belly, it won't last.

I tend to heat treat bows twice. Once at floor tiller and another when finishing up.  But to be honest I am quite certain I am not heating my bows long enough.

Would love to see more of your work in the future.