Author Topic: Backstrap sinew questions  (Read 1759 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Backstrap sinew questions
« on: October 30, 2021, 07:52:46 am »
I am struggling to break down backstrap for sinew, the sheath is stuck on really tight and most of the sinew is tearing into small pieces as I pull it apart. What should I be doing to seperate the sinew from the sheath? What sort of lengths should I be looking for?

Offline TimBo

Re: Backstrap sinew questions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 08:10:08 am »
I like to use an old table knife (with a dull, even edge... something like a metal ruler might work).  I put the sinew side down, get the blade between the meat and cutting board, and work it down.  If you are able to tear the sinew, you may be talking about the outer layer of gunky stuff - sinew is super strong, and you are much more likely to tear the back strap.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 08:19:01 am »
Sorry if I was vague, this is back strap I cleaned and hung to dry, the outer layer is now hard and amber in colour.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 08:43:36 am »
I usually scrap any meat off right away. Then I like to soak in  soapy water overnight. Then I can usually pull most of the slimy stuff off with my fingers. The I just lay it on a smooth board all flattened out and scrap both sides. After I’ve cleaned it up good I lay it on cardboard all smoothed out.

I’m thinking you could probably rehydrate it and try it again. Don’t forget about it or it will eventually start to rot and get stinky. Yeah I did that before

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 10:03:10 am »
I think that what I have must be all sinew, then, and I just need to pull it apart

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 12:42:30 pm »
Backstrap sinew comes apart easily. I use my fingers to pull it apart into strands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 01:52:15 pm »
How fine should I be going with this, when I try and chase single strands they snap after three or four inches. Am I going too fine ?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 12:25:45 am »
A pencil lead or smaller. You'll just have to play with it to see what size strands will work for the project you have planned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 06:07:05 am »
The best way to split sinew leg or backstrap is to pound with a wooden mallet on a smooth surface to 'loosen' the fibers. Then split the piece in half....then the halves in half....and repeat splitting your bundles in half until you are down to your finished size strands.
If you try to peel off single strands it will act as you are describing.
I like the strands to be 1mm max diameter. You'll get a feel for it after doing enough.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 08:33:52 am »
Sounds like the tendon you are working still has its membrane attached. That is what is causing your problems.

When I clean backstrap sinew, in addition to scraping the meat and fat off each piece I also remove that membrane. It is easier to do when you first clean the tendon, rather than after it has had a chance to dry.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 09:08:24 am »
Sounds like the tendon you are working still has its membrane attached. That is what is causing your problems.

When I clean backstrap sinew, in addition to scraping the meat and fat off each piece I also remove that membrane. It is easier to do when you first clean the tendon, rather than after it has had a chance to dry.
+1
Resoak your back strap and get the membrane off.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 10:42:19 am »
The best way to split sinew leg or backstrap is to pound with a wooden mallet on a smooth surface to 'loosen' the fibers. Then split the piece in half....then the halves in half....and repeat splitting your bundles in half until you are down to your finished size strands.
If you try to peel off single strands it will act as you are describing.
I like the strands to be 1mm max diameter. You'll get a feel for it after doing enough.

1mm?  That's way more coarse than I was working.  OK, I can try that. I reckon that's where I was going wrong, thanks everyone

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 03:51:12 am »
Thought so :) Glad to help :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 08:02:46 am »
Beware of pounding too hard on that thin deer backstrap.It can easily cut the fibers and you'll be left with short lengths.Waste.Most times with deer backstrap as said before just a little shimming back and forth with your hands releases the fibers to be stripped.I've prepared to dry countless back strap sinew butchering deer.
The only time backstrap sinew gets thicker is when one uses backstrap from a buffalo or larger animal.Many lengths of 25" to 30" just thicker or about the same as horse hairs and tough as hell can be gotten from them.Just finished a winged elm lever bow earlier here that I used that stuff [1/2 ounce] as the last course.More length/more weight with less lengths and straighter more perfect job.I have friends who I trade with that raise buffalo to sell the meat.

That's a 3' ruler set by it as a reference.
Pounding sinew prior to getting lengths from it I usually do on leg sinew.Then stripping.The tendon is thicker to start with.Still being careful not to cut the lengths.It takes a little longer to prepare than backstrap sinew but strips to a nice soft angel hair like lengths that IMO soak up the sinew more readily which is a good thing when sinewing bows.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 09:42:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 03:56:29 am »
Aye ED 'pounding' is a feel thing. Of course I don't mean to pound the hell out of it...just enough. Again feel will tell you how much.