Author Topic: need a band saw recommendation  (Read 1530 times)

Offline jeffp51

need a band saw recommendation
« on: August 14, 2021, 01:59:18 am »
I need a band saw. Not too expensive.  Not poor quality.  I don't ask for much.  I have many harbor freight tools.  some are good, some are not.  I don't know if harbor freight bands saws are any good.  Any other recommendations?  This would be for bow work and for lathe work.

Offline chamookman

Re: need a band saw recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 03:37:44 am »
I used a JET 14" for many Years. Cut many miles of Osage with it without a Hic-up  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 09:05:46 am »
...and I use a Grizzly 14' with a 1hp motor. I've had it for years and never had a problem with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 09:08:15 am »
I use a 14” delta. Can find good buys on them used and parts are readily available if you find one dirt cheap or free but in need of repairs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 09:29:02 am »
I probably made 50-75 bows on an older American made 12" Craftsman, It is only 1/2hp but with a 3tpi skip tooth blade it did what I wanted it to do. I transitioned to a 2hp Griz when I built my shop.

I see these old craftsman saws on Craig's list and the Facebook Marketplace fairly often, usually for around $100, sometimes less.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 05:52:42 pm »
Those Craftsman saws are not bad - I used one for years also.  I finally found a really nice 70s Rockwell Delta with a 1.5 HP motor and the riser block, and I am very happy with it.  The main difference is ease of resawing, so if you aren't doing that, the Craftsman will work great.  Bandsaws need adjusting a good bit if you change blades, and I imagine HF or other cheaper saws might be fussier than others (and less prone to staying in adjustment).  That is based on reviews and not personal experience, but I have also had a lemon saw (Delta knockoff) that didn't stay in adjustment worth squat, and it was a pain.  Grizzly or Jet are well regarded, or you might look into Rikon. 

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 06:03:32 pm »
I had the harbor freight 14" I bought almost 35 years ago. I had to replace the motor about 15 years ago. I retired it about 6 month ago, only because I restored a walker turner. The harbor freight needed some parts and I don't need 2. I know it really doesn't help, because today's models are probably different, but they're also pretty reasonably priced.

All that said, buy the best one you can afford.
Don

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 02:10:43 am »
I got a Grizzley 14" and am pleased with it - but not cheap, and I had to get some young guys to help with the set up!  I did get the base mount with wheels!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 08:58:27 am »
I have a 14in grizzly

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 09:01:27 am »
I had a friend who was in poor financial shape and wanted to sell his Rigid bandsaw, I sold my Craftsman and bought his almost new saw which was 1.5 HP. What a piece of junk!

The blade wouldn't tack on the wheels, now way to adjust it so it would. Rigid had a lifetime warranty so I had it back in the shop twice and they couldn't fix it so Rigid sent me another saw.

I was sick of the saw by then so I  hade the "new" one sent to my brother in Knoxville. Turns out it wasn't a new saw but a return missing a bunch of parts. When he tried to get the parts the dummy parts girl would send him any part he wanted but she didn't know a blade guide from a motor and no telling what she would send. It took him a year to finally get he saw running.

Rigid switched their manufacturers because they had so much trouble with this saw. I wouldn't buy another one with the Rigid name on it if it was gold plated.

There was a Craftsman 12" in the Local Facebook Market place yesterday for $50.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 06:48:50 pm »
Shop Fox 13” 1hp. Decent saw - about a thousand OTD with the base I recall.   Happy with it running a 3/4” blade.