Author Topic: Anyone ever tried butcher block wax sealer for finishing a bow?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Flntknp17

All,

I was making a set of charcuterie boards for the neighborhood from a piece of a large tree we lost in the derecho last year.....and it struck me that the sealer is a very nice combination of penetrating mineral oil and beeswax.  Has anyone ever tried this as a sealer on a bow?  For example, I work a lot of hickory and I am wondering if this thin wax would be a good sealer to lock in a moisture content and keep rain out?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Howard-Butcher-Block-Conditioner-Clear-Butcher-Block-Oil-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/999918606?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-google-_-lia-_-219-_-interiorstains-_-999918606-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjw87SHBhBiEiwAukSeUaF0NYk8X_GxB9fsWth75ylxs60XHq22lbCTCf9_sjcgd5Bi1oCeRxoCZpEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Matt

Offline HH~

Re: Anyone ever tried butcher block wax sealer for finishing a bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 10:46:50 am »
The one with Orange in it has lots of good wax in it. Have poured iff the oil and dug into that soft beeswax a time or two.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 12:25:16 pm »
For a bow finish I'd want a more permanent finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 07:06:07 pm »
I use oil followed by wax on all of my bows.  Have not tried that one.  I have used Watco’s liquid wax in the orange quart flat can and it is excellent in application and durability.   In fact I much prefer it over paste Johnson’s or Minewax.  FWIW

Offline boomhowzer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 10:35:11 pm »
I use Howards products on everything. I love that stuff. I finished my first shooter with 4 coats of homemade finish (turpentine and pine sap) followed by I-don't-even-know-how-many-coats of Howards. I rub it on until its still slick after 3 days of drying, and then I buff it off. I had that thing out turkey hunting in multiple rain storms and I don't think a single drop made its way into the wood. I haven't tried using it exclusively to finish a bow, but I would imagine it would perform fine as long as it was reapplied often. Let us know how your experiments go!
Bellaire, MI

Offline JohnL

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:52:50 pm »
     Every bow I've made has been sealed with exactly that.
I rub a heavy coat in, then gently heat with a heatgun, to draw the oil into the warm wood and make the waxes flow.  Then I put a second coat on, rub it into the wood, and let it sit for a bit.  Then rub a 3rd coat on and let it sit again, then wipe the excess off and let it sit overnight.  The next day, I buff it with a soft cotton T-shirt, to bring out the luster.
If you hunt your bow in wet weather, I would surely rub a fresh coat on, before each season.

–John