Author Topic: What kind of elm?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Fox

Re: What kind of elm?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 12:30:09 am »
This may seem like an off question, but do you guys have 120v electric? From some other posts it sounds like y’all may be off grid? If you do, you ought to make you a hot box or pipe with incandescent light bulbs to get your stave moisture down and keep it down while you’re working it. If you don’t have power, you can make a mini solar kiln easy enough out of some glass and black tin.

I sure wish I was off-grid morgan, I'm working towards that in my life though, I'm young, 16 :)

But we are out in the country.... I have a solar kiln and that helped me a lot last summer... I need to get it set up in a better spot now the trees are blocking too much sun. as for the hot box.. I tried to make a hot tube with a drier pipe and a incandescent bulb but it never got hot enough.... maybe ill give making a hot box a go? I definitely. need to do something to fix my MC problem in the summer :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: What kind of elm?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 01:51:55 am »
Make your hot box with 2 each 100+watt bulbs at about 1/3 the length of the box, some insulation and reflective material, should get plenty hot!  Wear gloves to remove. 

Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry