Author Topic: Hazel bow about to break - reparation advice  (Read 2943 times)

Offline freke

Re: Hazel bow about to break - reparation advice
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 05:31:00 pm »
Basically it shouldn't be making any noises! I'd take it off and redo it. Use 5 - 10% glue for sizing and 25 - 30% for the actual glue-up.
Also it looks like your bow is bending too little mid to outer limb. What width taper do you have on this bow?

Are you sure about sinews with hide glue do not make noise? I have both sinew and hide backed a few bows during the years (not much :)) with hide glue and they have all give away some noise when I pull them first times, have taken that for normal.

Pyramid(ish) design  42mm down to 13 mm in nock.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 07:02:50 pm »
Hide glue should not make noise when the  bow is drawn.  That's a sign of too much  glue or damaged glue.

You wouldn't be able to hunt with a sinew backed bow if it made noises.

Offline freke

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 07:59:11 pm »
Hide glue should not make noise when the  bow is drawn.  That's a sign of too much  glue or damaged glue.

You wouldn't be able to hunt with a sinew backed bow if it made noises.
Hunting should not be an issue with my previous bows as they are all dead silent after some use,  but yeas all did some cracking sound(not loud) on most of the bow in the beginning. Suppose local spots of too much glue, never had any failures so assume the glue is fine, maybe too hard.

bownarra

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 02:13:40 am »
As Pat says a creaking bow isn't mich use!!!
But seriously though absolutely not, no your glue should not be making noises :)
what I said above still holds and yes i'm 100% certain :) I've been doing this for a while now :)
The tiller needs addressing first. Hazel is some tension strong wood. Sure it does vary in quality but good pieces will not raise splinters if tillered properly. Chrysaling at pin knots is another thing but not splinters.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 08:19:52 am »
I agree the cracking noise should'nt really be happening.It's either from too thick of glue or too much glue.
I used smooth on on my flax patch.I sanded it dried to a very thin layer patch.Mine was a pin knot splinter on the bow post.It did'nt crack any.
I remember doing my first sinewed bow back in 2009.Probably did'nt size  it very well.I don't remember.Piss poor layering of sinew.Filled cracks in with hide glue etc instead of using sinew strands.Did'nt wrap it any and reheat it.That bow cracked a lot when first drawn but did'nt fail yet.
Since then sinewing many bows I'm very careful to do a top notch job layering the sinew down.Sizing well with very thin glue first multiple times.Your sizing step is very important.That bond between your sizing and your sinew is very important.It takes practice and discriminatng self judgement of your sinewing to get satisfied with your job.
As said earlier in your post with Jawge and me the layout of your center line probably was'nt on the crown the whole way and at an angle.That's your biggest culprit here IMO.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 04:42:08 pm »
Thanks for all good advice :) so far,
I  will start sand/smooth the sinew wrapping try to get as much excessive glue of and apply one more layer sinew and then re-tiller the bow and cross finger it solve the issue.
If I still get cracking noise I will follow Bownarras suggestion (although I don't like it:) ) - redo the job

Offline freke

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 04:31:05 pm »
Listening to advices to try fix tiller have I remove wood, Well I would like to hear comments?
 I have taken of much wood but see very little change, worried all comes at once :-[

Regarding cracking noise, closer look the fads of the flux backing had execive glue with little flux fiber and I could see cracks so I sanded and scratch down the fades of the glue joints and added more sinew,  have to do better next time -  no cracking noise so far.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 07:31:04 am »
Tiller looks spot on freke.Good follow up.It does'nt have to be a very thick repair.Hope it holds up for you.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed