Author Topic: How narrow is too narrow for string nocks? (Pic added)  (Read 1909 times)

Offline organic_archer

How narrow is too narrow for string nocks? (Pic added)
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:50:12 pm »
Hello all. I’ve been using 7-8mm (0.27-0.32”) pin nocks for many years and have never had a bow break at the nocks. I’ve recently began experimenting with different nock styles.

My latest osage bow is 64” ttt and pulls 63 pounds at 27.5” draw. It’s an unbacked selfbow. I made the tips slightly narrower and cut double string grooves into them. The finished nock (portion where the string actually rests) after cutting grooves is only 5mm (0.22”)... so just a hair over 1/8”.

I’m not used to making them quite this thin, so thought I’d ask the collective knowledge here if anyone's had troubles with thin nocks on 60+ pound bows? I would really love to see some photos showcasing some of you guys' narrowest self-nocks!

EDIT : photo added for reference. The bow in question is the bright yellow one. The area between the string grooves looks pretty thin in person. The other three bows have approx. 7mm nocks.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:54:44 pm by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How narrow is too narrow for string nocks? (Pic added)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 12:20:38 am »
How thick are the tips? Wood is a lot stronger in thickness than in width.  You could always add an overlay to increase the strength.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:41:31 am »
They will be fine but i'd be overlaying them so there are no potential issues down the line.
Also your nock slot appears to travel at 90 dges to the back. You should open out the nock groove on the belly side to a 45 deg line.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 06:50:36 am »
There’s so little leverage at the nock with the string pushing on it that I think we can get away with a lot smaller than we think. I once made a bow with pin nocks where the string was hanging onto a piece that was about 1/16” wide and 3/8” thick. What I worry about is the length past the tip bumping into something and snapping off. If you keep the tip past the nock small then that’s probably not an issue.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 07:01:54 am »
That pencil's nocks are way too narrow. You could tie a string on, but the graphite is probably too brittle. Oh pencil cedar is not as good a eastern red cedar as a bow wood. ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 07:03:05 am »
IMO, there is no need for the tip to be any wider than the narrowest point...
E.G. Don't cut grooves in the side, add an overlay and put the groove on the back (in the overlay).
This has the added benefit of allowing the string to swing freely in an arc from it's braced position to the full draw position without it bending over any corners.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 09:44:45 am »
How thick are the tips? Wood is a lot stronger in thickness than in width.  You could always add an overlay to increase the strength.

They’re about 3/8 thick Pat!

They will be fine but i'd be overlaying them so there are no potential issues down the line.
Also your nock slot appears to travel at 90 dges to the back. You should open out the nock groove on the belly side to a 45 deg line.

Just a little bit of camera and shadow illusion bownarra. They’re cut a touch less than 45 degrees, and the grooves/angle continue downward on the belly side.

IMO, there is no need for the tip to be any wider than the narrowest point...
E.G. Don't cut grooves in the side, add an overlay and put the groove on the back (in the overlay).
This has the added benefit of allowing the string to swing freely in an arc from it's braced position to the full draw position without it bending over any corners.
Del

I love the look of that style of tip overlay Del. When others post them I drool over ‘em. I prefer not to add any overlays to my bows though. The one-piece longbow has my heart, and I’d really like to see what they can handle without any glue!

There’s so little leverage at the nock with the string pushing on it that I think we can get away with a lot smaller than we think. I once made a bow with pin nocks where the string was hanging onto a piece that was about 1/16” wide and 3/8” thick. What I worry about is the length past the tip bumping into something and snapping off. If you keep the tip past the nock small then that’s probably not an issue.

Good to know Ryan!

I really appreciate all the input and the laugh from Hamish  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:52:41 am by organic_archer »
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 10:22:59 am »
You do great work organic, I love seeing your bows on Instagram. They are elegant
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 11:03:35 am »
I do them similar to Del . Narrow as if gone is about 1/8” wide and 5/8 thick. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 10:19:17 am »
I make them narrow but thick, this one may be 1/2" thick counting the overlay. That is a stringing groove above the string nock.

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 11:35:40 am »
I have lots of bows with saddle nocks 1/4 wide, no string grooves on edges.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW