Author Topic: Hill style kids bow  (Read 824 times)

Offline Kidder

Hill style kids bow
« on: February 15, 2021, 02:26:25 pm »
Finished up a bow for my son’s best friend, who already already has a bow, but REALLY wants a wood bow (probably because his buddy has one). I’ve also been eyeing Hill style bows, so decided to make a “mini Hill”. For this one I used hickory with walnut for the riser and jatoba for the tip overlays. Added artificial snakeskin, cause every kids bow needs snakeskin and the added security is welcomed. I went with 1 inch wide and a straight taper all the way from the fades to 3/8 inch tips. 60 inches TTT (the kid is 7 years old and close to 5 feet already). The handle is black leather with red artificial sinew laces. Put in a small shelf, which is a first for me. During the final tillering it picked up a belly crack that appears to have run under the handle through both limbs. It didn’t come through the back and stayed near center. So I filled it with super thin CA, clamped it, and did matching sinew wraps - something I am having to do more often than not it seems. Finished with 3 coats of shellac and one of Truoil, as the shellac would cause my ink to run. Tillered 20lbs at 25 inches. The full draw is my son who is probably pulling it 18-20 inches. Thanks.

Offline Kidder

Re: Hill style kids bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 02:27:51 pm »
Couple more...

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:01:38 pm »
cool bow!

60 inches TTT (the kid is 7 years old and close to 5 feet already)

The extra length will come in handy if those guys will be pulling it back like most kids  (and loosing arrows in the snow) :)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »
That turned out great! Nice length to grow into a bit. Well done!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 04:35:01 pm »
Very nice, he will get a lot of hours of enjoyment from that.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 04:39:12 pm »
Great job! I'm sure that'll put a smile on that kids face.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges