Author Topic: Split a hickory stave?  (Read 851 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Split a hickory stave?
« on: February 09, 2021, 02:46:45 am »
Got a shagbark hickory stave, 70" x 3 1/8 max 3 1/2 on the arc, pretty straight grain, minimum twist.
Thinking I might get 2 bows out of it carefully, without worrying about the belly split.  Looking at a flat bow to come in a out 30-40# anywhere from 54"-60"    Got a good band saw as well as splitting wedges as needed.  Trying to figure out the shimming needed to follow the grain and the arc.  I am sort of off line posting pics right now.  Any sight unseen ideas?  I do need some hickory for smoking meat, but that isn't an option, yet!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Split a hickory stave?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 10:03:09 am »
If you want to follow the grain you can split it but that's pretty narrow to try. I split one the other day but it was 6" across. If you make the edges flat you'll lose width on both sides
In the woods I find my peace

Offline M2A

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:07:15 am »
In my experience dry/seasoned hickory splits very well with the grain, green hickory will run out more often. But imo dry or green I would not chance spliting, margin for error is slim. Band saw would be safer. make a flat spot on the belly of the stave so it slides nice on the table and follow the line you draw on the back of stave. That should give you 2, 1.25+ inch wide staves when roughed out.
If it were mine I'd use it for 1 66-68" ntn stiff handled bow, just because it has the lenght.
Mike             

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 02:49:42 pm »
Mike,
I should have thought about flattening the belly!  Thanks!  Actually planning a shorter bow for my wife who is about 4'6" tall, hence the 54".  She does not like the full draw weight of self bows, long bows etc., and I haven't figured out how add a "let off" to a self bow :BB (lol)!  Draw weight would be 30# or so.  I was thinking along the lines of Paul Comstock's newbie bow from The Bent Stick.   I have a BL stave that might work, as well. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:02:10 pm »
I cut one at 1 3/4 to 2" wide and then use the narrow piece for the light weight bow.