Author Topic: sliver(updated 4/27 more pics)  (Read 5627 times)

Offline sailordad

sliver(updated 4/27 more pics)
« on: April 26, 2008, 11:33:11 pm »
so everyone thats read an earlier post of mine ( chasing my first ring ) knows the back ground of this little one i call "SLIVER".

ive been working on it every now and again as time allows( when its been nice,gotta go for  ride on the bike ya know). now the weather has turned again,so ive been working on it some more. ill post a pic or two.

now i reduced the width along the length to match the narrowest part, which was the handle area, so the overall width is 5/8th of an inch wide, 57 inches long and about 3/4 inch thick at the handle area and tapering to about 5/8 inch thick at tips. it is floor tillered right now.

it had a lot of lateral bend to it and some prop twist. so this truly has been a learning experience for me,as i now know how to correct these issues ( somewhat ) with heat.

at one point it had developed a crack in it,length wise down one side,so i very carefully opened it and put in some tbIII glue and clamped overnight and it seems to be holding pretty well.

on one side of one limb it had a piece of wood missing, so i mixed up some tbIII and osage sawdust and filled the gap and let it sit overnight and filed it even with the side of the limb. it seems to be holding up even with bending the limb.
 as i was getting ready to put it on a shorter string i decided to ge with only one inch of brace height and found the the string wasnt even close to center with the handle and the bow would want to twist in your hand if trying to draw it a little. so once again i got out the heat gun again and twisted one tip a little and the bent the whole thing at the handle area some to try and eleiminat this issue.  so far witht one inch of brace height it seems better now when trying to draw it a little nd the string seems to track a little better also.

ok picture time

this one shows the lateral bend and the prop twist

this one shows it after the heat straightening,and after shaping the tips and cuting in string grooves

this one its on the tillering stick with the long string on it
on the left limb if you look close youcan see a knot and on the side next to the know the gap that i filled with sawdust/glue mix

please let me know what ya'all think
oh yeah,please keep in mind that this was at one time on ridgerunners burn pile. he sent this with for practice chasing a ring. so my thanks once again to him.this has been a wonderfaul learing experience for me and i have become very fond of working with OSAGE, the wood of the bow gods

tim

o.k. so ive done just a little scraping on the limbs today where suggested,not much like i said just a little.

however i did decide to try for a litle more brace height today to get a better feel of the actual tiller.
so i shorted up my bow string and achieved,safely i might add( the glued gap and cracks are still holding at this time) a brace height of 3.75 inches.

hey thats not to bad( or is it,let me know please)

so then i decided to see what it can pull right now,so on the tiller stick it went

i gave it a pull down to 15 inches and got 15 lbs. not to bad i thought.not sure what to go for with this little one.
want to keep it safe but yet shootable for some kid that wants it,any help here would great.thanks for looking

tim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:30:04 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sliver
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:39:54 pm »
I'd say its time for a short string and about 4" brace height.   Looks like you need to concentrate a bit more on the outer limbs and take a little off the right limb just past the handle to get that area bending slightly more.   
She's looking good. Keep us posted.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:49:31 pm »
Looks like that toothpick is going to make a really nice bow :)   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:20:35 am »
Looking real good Tim.
More of those slivers may be sent out.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline sailordad

Re: sliver(updated 4/27 more pics)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:24:58 am »
ok so ive done a little more again
now i'm at 5.75 inch brace,23 lbs @ 21 inches, i think it'll shoot
i'll find out tomorow let me know what ya think please

el destructo: please feel free to make to your signature circle for me,it always helps to check tiller.
ive tried to do it,but just cant get it right like you do.  :(

tim

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:39:25 am »
ok so ive done a little more again
now i'm at 5.75 inch brace,23 lbs @ 21 inches, i think it'll shoot
i'll find out tomorow let me know what ya think please

el destructo: please feel free to make to your signature circle for me,it always helps to check tiller.
ive tried to do it,but just cant get it right like you do.  :(

tim

Give me a New Picture and I will....I already tagged the first one for you!!!!!!!!!!

;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 12:49:10 am »
i'm sorry i meant to post a new one,must of had a brain fart there :D

ther this should make it easier,man i can be so stupid sometimes. i guess lack of short term memory 8)

tim

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:56:51 am »
I can't even hardley see the bow with that checkered back ground........ :(
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 12:59:29 pm »
You have to scroll slowly up and down - that's psycho :o :o :o

Looking forward to the finished bow ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 04:58:55 pm »
Holy @#!%&*. Your checkered tiller tree back ground is seriously messin' with my eyes! How can you look at that! Makes it super hard to see the tiller. Does that work for you? Gives me a headache. Phewww.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:05:05 pm »
the photo makes it worse than it really is though

i have been contimplating going to a large block like 2x2 squares,this is 1x1 squares. so it can get a litle hard on the eyes.

you should try and check tiller on the board after a couple,then it really messes with the eyes. :o

tim

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:21:56 pm »
I pulled my Signature Circle because I was getting Flack for doing it....SoRRY!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 01:31:41 am »
I pulled my Signature Circle because I was getting Flack for doing it....SoRRY!!
Hey - I thought the circle was very useful. Not to mention, it showed some practical computer skills -OldBow
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:18:22 am »
El Destructo, I like the circle. I've started using it at home for my tillers, it really helps to get the arc right. I wouldn't worry about what 1 or 2 people say, I think most like it.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:47:31 am »
Looks good to me.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI