Author Topic: Question On Locust Staves  (Read 6981 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Question On Locust Staves
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 06:49:39 pm »
The sapwood rings in your second pic (first post) look pretty close to be chasing.  I'd just make a bow using the outer wood as the back, that or thin the sapwood in half and back with rawhide or sinew for safety.  You'll probably only wind up with heartwood in the handle.

If your making a splice on billets, be sure the wood is good and dry or the glue line might fail when the wood shrinks.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 06:53:59 pm »
Thanks Lennie..I stripped the Bark off of two Sister Pieces....and I am going to let them Dry for a few days and see if the Sapwood will make them slit like Osage does....if not ....I am going to leave it and try it like you said.....I have plenty of Rawhide ...so that is always an option too!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:45:07 pm »
Here is what the Leaves and the Flowers look like....I still think that it is a Form of Honey Locust....possibly the Thornless Type

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 12:00:58 am »
The one i cut , i took the bark off a couple,just to see how it would dry,  and they checked liked heck ! I would seal them if you take the bark off.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 02:07:58 pm »
Looks like you have enough to me. The rings are narrow like Tom Sawyer noticed. The stave will teach you that's for sure .But measure it out and see.. You are going to want about 1.75 in wide tapering to 1/2 in nocks. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 02:08:50 pm »
Looks like you have enough to me. The rings are narrow like Tom Sawyer noticed. The stave will teach you that's for sure .But measure it out and see.. You are going to want about 1.75 in wide tapering to 1/2 in nocks. Jawge

And No Sapwood???
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 02:22:41 pm »
I would leave 1 or 2 sapwood rings for the back.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 02:23:54 pm »
I would leave 1 or 2 sapwood rings for the back.

Dang thats going to be a Challenge....they are soo close together....worse than Osage!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 02:25:24 pm »
 Hey destructo   check your tbb    I think I recall someone saying something about not using the sapwood in there,don't remember which book.The sapwood on my black locust stave checked but not into the heartwood.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington