Author Topic: How to take out propeller twist?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

How to take out propeller twist?
« on: November 11, 2020, 01:26:32 pm »
How should i heat the limb of a bow for taking out propeller twist? do I heat the back or belly or sides or everything? I know how to hang a weight on a clamp attached to the bow to twist it out but my question is how to heat the limb before you do that. Thanks!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: How to take out propeller twist?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 03:12:10 pm »
I take it out when I heat treat. I will use a shin wedge of a softer wood  and out the the clamp on the high side of the twisted limb. As I heat up the limb I will slowely crank down the clamp until I twist it about 25% further than I needed to move it to get the twist out. I do this a the same stage I’m putting in any reflex I’m wanting and any side bend that needs to come out. This works very well for black locust. You want to heat it slow enough you can feel the warmth on the back while heating from the belly. This will make sure the wood is hot all the way through. Once it is moved and clamped in place I move the heat gun much closer and get a mild scorching to the belly. When I do this I generally get the wood to stay where I want it. Sometimes too well and I don’t get the amount of spring back I expected.

Hope that helps,
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 04:03:40 pm »
Have you braced the bow yet? Some twist won't hurt anything in a selfbow. You can also tiller the twist out so at full draw the limbs are straight.
Like Kyle said, take it out during heat treating if you plan to do that. Never heat the back of a wood bow. The heat will make it brittle weakening it's tension strength.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:14:08 pm »
So long its not a string contact recurve, I dont worry about prop twist anymore. It doesn't hurt a thing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 04:43:09 pm »
How much twist?
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 04:56:55 pm »
Bring the stave to floor tiller . Put it on a form. With a heat gun start from the riser both ways, and  heat ,and clamp as you go toward the tips lining the  tips to the middle of the riser. You can take most of the twist out as you go, and at the same time.. Then give the belly a good heat treat to hold what you have.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 07:20:45 am »
Like this, heat only the offending area, this is done before floor tiller. if the bow is done, put the limb in a vise after the twist, heat the offending area and twist the handle in the opposite direction with your hand, just a tweek. Check your work and repeat until you have the limb straight. Let things cool and proceed.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:24:52 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 11:22:46 am »
After some thought I dont think this stave will need the twist taken out. Ill keep these suggestions for future use tho. Thanks!