Author Topic: Heating Osage before it’s seasoned  (Read 813 times)

Offline Fox

Heating Osage before it’s seasoned
« on: November 03, 2020, 09:22:04 am »
I’ve got a Osage stave, been seasoning for about 6 months, ruffed out for 3 or so. And has been in 30%-50% humidity. Can I do some straightening and recurving now ? Or will it check? And also how much longer should I let it season before bending?

-Fox
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:43:10 am by Fox »
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

gutpile

Re: Heating Osage before it’s seasoned
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:00:39 am »
if boiling for recurves you could of done that green... osage bends easily with dry heat to correct any alignment issues... I'd definitely go ahead and bend curves now...as for straightening you could wait  till seasoned... which since roughed out for 3 months ought to be close... again dry heat on osage is the way I go for straightening and aligning tips.... but I boil all my recurves...but yes if wet and you put the heat to it.. it will check.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 10:07:19 am »
Dean Torges used steam on green osage. He thought it would also force some of the moisture out of the wood. If you use moist heat, steam or boil, be sure to seal the back first with shellac. Shellac, unlike other sealers will withstand the heat and moisture and still protect the back.
 I use shellac on the back of any bow I make, seasoned or not. Too many times I've exposed a seasoned osage back just to have it check.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 12:58:44 pm »
Okay thanks guys. So you think the stave will be dry in like a month or two ? More less? This is my first real osage stave so I really don’t know
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:15:00 pm »
I'd give it a year under the right conditions. If you reduce it to floor tiller stage it should take less time. Just be sure the back is sealed well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC