Author Topic: Where to find bow wood (maybe this should be a sticky?)  (Read 1226 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Where to find bow wood (maybe this should be a sticky?)
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:59:28 pm »
I recently found a great black locust log in a wood pile from a tree cutting service. I was wondering where people find their wood? Ive also seen some nice logs in the town dump brush pile. Maybe this thread could be a good resource for people looking for bow wood. Thanks!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Where to find bow wood (maybe this should be a sticky?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 12:05:51 pm »
in trees  ;)  ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 12:06:57 pm »
it really depends on where you live though but really, it can be anywhere. but i bet most people find their wood on private land of a friends, or their own, or land that they got permission from.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 01:40:05 pm »
I found some of the best osage in Ga in front of a gate to some turkey property.. most was cut to firewood but a few staves which were perfect straight and clean I got... happy that day as osage is really rare here.. gut

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 04:21:06 pm »
When you are in the "gathering phase", you start looking for bow (and arrow) wood EVERYWHERE.  You will start evaluating the grain of furniture, hand rails, fence posts, etc.  One way to get osage and black locust, if you are in an area where they grow, is to look at Craigslist or a local farm auction for fence posts.  (Sometimes ERC also.)  All of those have rot- resistant heartwood, so you don't have to worry as much about how they were treated.  Posts are often 8 foot sections, so you can trim the ends to get past checking. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 05:27:59 pm »
I haven't done it because I found more than enough osage I could get permission to cut back in the day. Things are different now, all the places I cut have been developed plus I am past the osage cutting and splitting stage age wise.

If I was looking for osage I would put an ad on Craig's list or the Facebook marketplace, show a tree, show a cut end and show some apples. Offer a fair price for it depending on the size and usable bow wood in the tree. Promise to clean up the top and cut firewood out of it for the owner.

Let's say you can see ten staves and some billets in the tree, offer $150 for it, cash money, I bet you won't be turned down. You would have to stress that most osage trees are not bow quality and it takes some looking to find one.