Author Topic: 3 under and nock placement  (Read 1086 times)

Offline mutt

3 under and nock placement
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:56:35 am »
I've always shot a traditional bow by instinct and with a split finger grip.
I'm not a terrible shot but I lack consistency. I started watching some videos about gap shooting, aiming and 3 under and gave it a try. Groups improved and sight picture did also but seems like my gap almost disappeared.
In other words at 10 yards I'm point on.
I'm shooting a 64" semi bend in the handle, 49#@28" tillered to the center of the bow.
My nock point is 1 3/4 above center which puts my ring finger right at the center of the bow with a 3 under grip.
Is this a good set up?

Offline mmattockx

Re: 3 under and nock placement
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 09:49:05 am »
My nock point is 1 3/4 above center which puts my ring finger right at the center of the bow with a 3 under grip.
Is this a good set up?

I would say you should set your nocking point according to what the arrows want to fly straight, but that isn't crazy high. I also shoot 3 under and I set my rest at 1.25" above center and the nock point will be another 3/8" or so above that usually (measured at the top of the nock on the string), which is close to what you have.

What is your anchor when shooting 3 under? The barebow guys play with anchor points and stringwalk to get the point on distance to what they want but I wouldn't do much of that with a wood bow.

Mark

Offline mutt

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 03:30:02 am »
My anchor is my index finger at the corner of my mouth but I'm gonna try my cheek bone and see what happens

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 07:48:15 am »
just remember, 3 under will put much more strain on the bottom limb, i think thats why my bow fractured at a knot.... tillered it for a split, but then shot it as 3 under, then back to split....
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline mutt

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:39:50 pm »
mental note to self (listen for cracking noises)

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 02:58:46 pm »
49 lb. at 28 inches, and anchoring index finger in the mouth you should have some gap out to 20 yds. at least I do. Move your nock down ,and shoot a bare shaft  at 15 to 20 yds. You will more than likely be very nock high. Keep moving your nock down until you get a straight arrow with a bare shaft. Your bare shaft, and fletched arrow should be straight,and impacting in the same place. That should let you know what is going on.

Offline mutt

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 03:26:35 am »
Thanks guys