Author Topic: Osage Bow - Sinew removed - Now what...  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Tommy D

Osage Bow - Sinew removed - Now what...
« on: October 04, 2020, 08:47:33 am »
I am seeking the council of the elders who understand Osage and sinew backing and heat treating...

I removed the sinew from an Osage bow that I built years ago. I don’t think the sinew was doing much. Also the bow shoots better upside down!

I have attached some pics and have a few questions I am pondering... ..

1)Should I keep it as an unbacked bow? How much performance can I gain with sinew?

2) Should I heat treat and sinew back, or just heat treat or leave as is...

3) There is a scratch or tool mark on the back that slightly worries me. I guess I didn’t worry about it when I put the sinew on. Should I drop a growth ring - I guess only important if I don’t sinew back.

4) I think the bow shoots better upside down because there is some limb twist that is more visible without the sinew. I think this swings the string horizontally and causes the arrow to kick off the rest. I have played with arrow spine till I am blue in the face and I think that this might be the reason.

bownarra

Re: Osage Bow - Sinew removed - Now what...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:33:34 am »
If for some sreason it shoots better upside down then never shoot it any other way again.
Induce some reflex. 'String' it backwards.
Size the back with thin 5% glue. Then sinew back. Concentrate the sinew on the inner limbs and crown it down the center of the limbs.
You must add refelx and minimize the amount of sinew if you want to increase performance.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:15:29 am »
I would do as suggested and shorten it a bit. How long is it?

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 12:51:59 pm »
I would do as suggested and shorten it a bit. How long is it?

It is 63 inches ntn unstrung and 1 3/4 wide at the widest. With sinew in was 70lbs at 27”.

If for some sreason it shoots better upside down then never shoot it any other way again.
Induce some reflex. 'String' it backwards.
Size the back with thin 5% glue. Then sinew back. Concentrate the sinew on the inner limbs and crown it down the center of the limbs.
You must add refelx and minimize the amount of sinew if you want to increase performance.

Thanks for the suggestions. How much reflex would you induce? And do you do this with heat or simply hold it in reflex whilst the sinew dries?

I don’t know why it likes shooting upside down - but it does. I think you are spot on that is the easiest solution is to tiller it to shoot that way round.

Thanks for the help

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 12:44:40 am »
3 or 4 inches initially. Either heat or by using a tight reverse string. Heat treating the belly and inducing reflex at the same time wouldn't hurt if your profile needed a bit of a tweak. If not then just use the string.