Author Topic: Making Helmsman Spar Varnish Less Shiny?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Making Helmsman Spar Varnish Less Shiny?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:14 pm »
I use Bon Ami natural cleaner. It's kinda like comet but with out the chemicals. It's basically the same thing as pumice powder but it's cheap and easy to find. You can use baking soda too for a finer polish that is closer to glossy

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:33 am »
I've never been concerned about shine, but I've never been able to sand out the brush/rag streaks left behind with the wipe on without sanding the finish completely off the corners, I usually sand the finish lightly with fine sandpaper.  I'm considering switching to a soak-in finish, but helmsman works really well and I need a good finish in our 80% humidity summers.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 09:12:35 am »
Thanks to all for the responses. I will be trying a few of the things mentioned.

One update, last night I looked at the label while I was putting coat #2 on and it turns out this is the satin finish varnish. I can't imagine how shiny the gloss version would be when used with the same methods I am using now...

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 01:34:09 pm »
I've never been concerned about shine, but I've never been able to sand out the brush/rag streaks left behind with the wipe on without sanding the finish completely off the corners, I usually sand the finish lightly with fine sandpaper.  I'm considering switching to a soak-in finish, but helmsman works really well and I need a good finish in our 80% humidity summers.

Simple answer :)
Tung oil - it has exceptional water resistance, is easy to apply a quick buff between coats with 0000 wire wool. No gloss and a lovely feel. Just remember to cut the first few coats 50/50 with white spirit and wipe off any excess before drying.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 04:04:33 pm »
Is this a coating or soak in varnish?
How many applications should I expect to need? 
The humidity here can be 80-90% for weeks in summer, and sub 30% in winter.

How's boiled linseed oil? Can you put another finish on top of it if necessary? (I already have access to this stuff).

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2020, 11:06:11 am »
I like BLO. you have to reapply it a good bit if you want a nice looking coat (that you can actually see in contrast to the wood) but if your just looking to waterproof it a little i would suggest BLO. But if you looking for a thick coat or a tru oil like thickness without the shine i would say dont use BLO because its really just oil that wont rot that your wood absorbs.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.