Author Topic: recurved tips  (Read 8553 times)

Offline billmac

recurved tips
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:35:53 am »
So I think I mentioned this, but after some overzealous finish sanding, my first bow is a little underweight.  White Ash, 44lbs @ 25".  63" ntn, pyramid design.  Unfinished.  Has taken about 2" of string follow (a little more on one limb which had some natural deflex to begin with).  I don't want to back it.  How difficult would it be to recurve the tips a little?  Would that do the trick?  I've seen some recurving info but it's usually a little more than just the tips.  How does one recurve about 6" or so?

Or should I just shorten it? (for some reason I hate to do that, although it would probably be less work).

Thanks

Offline snedeker

Re: recurved tips
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:11:42 am »
If 25" is your sought after draw length, you could take 1.5 " off either end with little worry and get the weight up there.

Dave

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 08:00:58 pm »
Yeah, I hate cutting the tips off, but if you're careful not to be overzealous again, you wont split the nock by using an aggressive saw, and you'll be happy with how it will shoot afterwards.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:58:13 pm »
Like it was said, cutting the tips off would make it shoot better, but recurving the last few inches by boiling it and setting it in a form. Works great, fixed a really poor shooting deflex that way.

Offline jkekoni

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:39:16 am »
Easy method for mild recurves is that force the last half of bow  limb to 3" (5" including set) recurve using an improvised from and heat treat the belly with a heat gun.
Leave to form for 2 hours and you will have 4# and 0-1" total reflex.

Watch out for over reflexing, since it is easy to fracture the belly. Watch out for heating the back, it is also easy.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:18 am »
jkekoni's method is the one I would suggest for best performance
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline xHunter

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 11:46:21 am »
Easy method for mild recurves is that force the last half of these bows (https://survivaltechie.com/best-survival-bow/) limb to 3" (5" including set) recurve using an improvised from and heat treat the belly with a heat gun.
Leave to form for 2 hours and you will have 4# and 0-1" total reflex.

Watch out for over reflexing, since it is easy to fracture the belly. Watch out for heating the back, it is also easy.

how reliable would this be, would the bow life wear and tear after a few uses because it sounds like it weakening the structural frame.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 11:54:45 am »
Recurving a bow that has already taken set is just adding more stress to an already over stressed bow.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:36:20 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 07:04:13 am »
Don't recurve or shorten it both will INCREASE strain on a bow that has already taken set....making it take more set.
As mentioned above the best way to try and improve it is to heat treat the belly and induce a small amount of reflex whilst doing so. Heat the limbs until medium/dark brown.