Author Topic: backing woods?  (Read 893 times)

Offline dylanholderman

backing woods?
« on: July 25, 2020, 07:58:59 am »
hey i think i'm going to give making a backed bow another shot so i'm planning a trip to the hardwood store, what woods should i be looking out for?
i know hickory is the gold standard but iv'e also read that maple and ash are good, any other good backing woods i should look at while i'm there?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: backing woods?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:57:41 am »
I would go with hickory, hard maple, elm(probably won't have it) and ash, in that order...but I've never used any but hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 12:31:00 pm »
White oak
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 02:38:28 pm »
I agree, white oak also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 03:02:37 pm »
Bamboo!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »
thanks guys i went to woodcraft today and ended up with white oak.
the hickory they had was crap for bows same with the ash and the only piece of maple i liked was about $90

i also got a wood iv'e never heard of before called Niove, no idea about its property's but it feels pretty dense so i said what the heck if its no good for bows i'll make a guitar or something out of it.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 05:40:55 pm »
Niove. I have heard  of it, but never used it for a bow, or heard of anyone trying it. I needed to look it up, its sg.88, so quite dense and heavy. Worth a try for a bow, but don't be surprised if its brittle, or chrysals, like many other dense tropical woods. Who knows it might be good?