Author Topic: Bow Finish over Stained Bamboo Backing  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Tommy D

Bow Finish over Stained Bamboo Backing
« on: June 10, 2020, 02:21:13 pm »
I’ve really been struggling with this. I finally can get a half decent looking stain with the Penetrating (alcohol based) leather dye that comes in a liquid form - but I am struggling on two fronts - one is stopping it dripping round the sides of the bamboo backing and leaving drip marks on the wood. If I try and sand/ wipe these out it takes the die off the edge of the bamboo leaving a light streak; or you seep  onto the back and alter  the nice stain you finally managed to achieve!!

Then to top it all off I have so far found that only a water-based varnish doesn’t muddy the stain up. Is a water based varnish good enough. It just doesn’t sound very tough to me!

I was thinking of trying Danish Oil - but somewhere I read on a post that it softens wood/ changes arrow spine! Or is this nonsense!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel like I am doing laps of the paddling pool at the moment. I’ve even tried epoxy - but couldn’t get that to cure smooth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow Finish over Stained Bamboo Backing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:05 pm »
Tape off the rest of the bow you don't want stain with painters tape. Sounds like you are using too much dye too. For me, leather dye works better if you blot the applicator(I use a sponge or folded rag) first to get the excess off then with a circular motion work out the limbs. You can make a "sunburst" type staining by working from heavy to light coloration as you go out the limb.
 Water based poly gives a very hard finish. I've used it on doweled arrows for years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 03:14:43 pm »
Alcohol based Leather dye!

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:42 pm »
Alcohol based Leather dye!

HH~

I’ve got that far.

It’s the next steps that I am struggling with! Will try again with the water based PU.

Any thoughts on the idea that Danish oil / Tung Oils soften wood / cause string follow/ change of tiller?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:06:51 am by Tommy D »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:57:39 am »
Man, you don't put that stuff on with a brush! Dip a small piece of Tee shirt in the dye, just enough to wet it and wipe it on the bamboo. This stuff dries really fast so give it a few minutes and wipe it again and again until you get the coverage and darkness you want.

Another tip, the edges of the bamboo will absorb the dye at a much higher rate than the back. To keep from having overly dark edges I run a piece of Tee shirt with tru-oil down the edges and let it dry to prevent this excess absorption. The edges will still absorb a little dye but at about the same rate as the back.

I use Try-oil on my bamboo backed bows, it is compatible with leather dye as is the epoxy acetone finish(massey).

Leather dye rubbed on with a piece of Tee shirt and finished with Tru-oil;

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 07:01:31 am »
This is leather dye put on really dark, lots of coats, dried with a heat gun between coats, and scrubbed back between the nodes with a scotch bright pad.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 12:02:46 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies - will keep at it!

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:38:57 pm »
tommy did you scrape the outer rind off the boo.?... you need to , to have the stain set .. the rind is the natural water proof of the boo... I use the leather dye too though... gut

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 03:55:52 pm »
I did scrape the rind off. Then I got what looked pretty good with the stain. And I thought I would use a thin layer of epoxy over it. It started to rain so I put it in the hot box (which lives outside) to keep it out if the rain. The epoxy cured with big dimples. Tried to sand it off but worried I will go too deep in the bamboo! So ended up with smooth epoxy in places and white bamboo in others.

I slowly applied layers of dye with a cloth on my finger as Eric suggested and dried with heat gun. Trying to blend the bamboo streak. Then the bits that looked good I sealed with a water based PU and went on.

I think it’s gonna be OK - not perfect - but OK!

The dye and the water based PU seems to work quite well. Even when both are a little wet you can sort of blend them. I guess I learnt something. Wish I had just picked a better day to put a finish on!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 04:20:58 pm »
I use Tru-Oil on all my bows and some arrows and have for years and have it over many different dyes and stains.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 04:23:13 pm »
I ordered the real Fiebing’s dye not the TRG Alcohol based dye which I was using.

Wow wow wow - what a difference! It’s like chalk and cheese