Author Topic: worm hole deep inside stave, no hole on outside  (Read 2654 times)

Offline richpierce

worm hole deep inside stave, no hole on outside
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:28:54 pm »
This weekend I cut a nice black locust about 6" in diameter and split it and got 4 decent staves to season for a while.  It surprised me to find a worm hole track deep in the wood with no evidence at all in the sapwood and outewr heartwood.  I can work around it but is this from while the tree was growing, early on, maybe an injury or something?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: worm hole deep inside stave, no hole on outside
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:43:36 pm »
Locust trees are frequently attacked by locust borers while they are growing. A lot of them also have carpenter ant tunnels in the center of the heartwood, but that's usually bigger trees. The locust borers lay eggs in the fall around wounds and cracks, and the tiny borers start down into the wood, overwinter, and start munching and growing again the next spring.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:45:03 pm »
Like Hillbilly said, borers really love black locust. Their tunnels can be as big around as your little finger. If there is only one whole your stave might be usable. You might also want to pour some chemical in the tunnel or use a piece of wire to get the critter, especially if its coming indoors.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:06:02 am »
I haven't cut locust for bows locally for a while because of the bores. I have read that some areas are more susceptible than others. I used to go to the farm supply store and buy(I hand picked through the stack)locust fence posts and rails. About$8 each. These were cut for fence posts and not bows but you can pick some nice ones. Most came from large diameter trees so less crown on the backs of your bow.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:37:51 pm »
Just one hole right near the center of the log- near the pith when it was young, I guess.  Durn borers.  I can work around them.