Author Topic: Opinions on yew design  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Opinions on yew design
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:43 pm »
I just aquired a nice yew stave.   I was planning on backing it with rawhide and snakeskin, just for added insurance, as I plan on taking this bow on a bighorn sheep hunt this year.   I was thinking I would probably shoot for more of a flatbow ALB style instead of an ELB.  Searching the forums here, almost every yew bow thats posted is an ELB, or a short sinew bow. 
  My question is, what would you consider the best general design for yew for performance and longevity?  What is the benefit of the more round cross section of an ELB?   The bow I have in my mind is a 66-68" NTN bow,  1.5" wide to midlimb, tapering to 3/8' nocks.  regtanglular cross section with rounded corners, and slightly reflexed tips.  Would that be a good design option for yew?

Thanks
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline shamus

Re: Opinions on yew design
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:30 pm »
You have the right idea with an ALB.   

Seems a bit wide to make it 1.5” to mid-limb, though.

What draw weight and draw length do you want? Yew bows can be made narrow. 1.25” to 1.5” at the flares would serve just fine. It depends on how heavy you want the bow. It also depends on the density of the yew.

I’d make it 1.5” at the flare outs and taper it in straight lines to just under 3/8” at the nocks. Imagine a gentle pyramid front view…you’re shooting for a gradual width taper, rather than a meare heath type of thing.

One of my yew bows is 1.25” at the flares and tapers to just under .5” at the nocks, and shoots 55#. It has a square cross section. It’s a wonderful design for that bow.

The traditional bowyer’s bible volume 1 has a chapter on yew bows with a similar design.

The square cross section is a good thing. Be sure to round the corners.