Author Topic: Twist  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Tommy D

Re: Twist
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 04:18:26 pm »
Stick and String. It’s an Amazon book. I built a couple of “those that shall not be named bows” from Binghams. I think it’s a really useful step by step if you have never done one before. Well worth it but to be honest I’ve learnt way more new concepts in bow building trolling this forum for ideas ...

Offline gumboman

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 08:37:32 pm »
in this picture it twists left, so are you saying right is strong?
Yes right side is strong. Remove wood from strong side to bring limb into alignment. This is counter intuitive of course but is the correct course of action. Usually does not require much wood removal.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 07:16:24 am »
Maaaan! I can't believe I got that wrong, AGAIN! Of course it is the right side which is strong. After I posted I even had it right all along in my head, I think I justed lapsed into my old thinking when posting.

This is why I always just concentrate on comparing thickness from side to side. If I do try to correct, I know I can't allow my self to do it without reading the sticky thread first )-w(
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 08:19:24 am »
I was sharing with James an article discussing bend-twist in beams. It describes how the different forces acting on and within a beam will cause twist. Basically if a beam (bow limb) is asymmetrical in strength, it will bend towards the weak side. They also discuss how direction of fibers can cause twist as well, similar to what we see in boards due to asymmetrical strength in different directions. The corrections would be to make the strong side weaker, or bring the string nock on the weak side inward.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 03:11:43 pm »
 Thanks Ryan, Here is that article.  Easy way to remember seems for me..... remove wood on the side you wish the limb would move.