Author Topic: Making ,and breaking bows  (Read 980 times)

Offline bassman

Making ,and breaking bows
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:37:36 am »
Here is a small example of  bows that broke on me over the years. Were laying in the corner of my work shop, so I figured I would post them to show the learning process that you go through to become a bow builder. You break one don't worry about it . Learn from it ,and build another, and I am not afraid to post them, because we go through it to one degree or another.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Making ,and breaking bows
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:25:54 am »
Lots of good lessons to be learned from those bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:00:32 am »
There's a Frankenbow in there waiting to be made  >:D ::) ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 01:09:00 pm »
Pat, and Del each bow has a story. The bow on the left is a sinew backed American Horn Beam bow that was 48 inches long, and shot just fine at 22 inches of draw. I wouldn't  let well enough alone, so I made Siyahs with way to sharp an angle and installed, and got a few shots  off ,and it broke. Each bow in the pics are bows I pushed past their limits which is obvious by trying to get more draw length, or speed, or adjusting design etc,etc., and I have made some Franken bows in the past from broken bows. One nice low poundage shooter I have has Osage limbs that I put on a Hickory riser with bolts. Now I can say that on this forum I have posted my  good, my bad bad,and my ugly. Thanks for your replies.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 01:16:30 pm »
I buried my first one ..hahahahaha... now I got a few more..one day I'll splice two together...gut

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 01:36:53 pm »
My wife is still using some for tomato stakes, and that is  the truth. Some are getting rotten,but not Osage , Black Locust.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 03:19:55 am »
My wife is still using some for tomato stakes, and that is  the truth. Some are getting rotten,but not Osage , Black Locust.
LOL ... Yeah, we have some Yew and Ash stakes in the garden too :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.