Author Topic: lever bow tiller check  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
lever bow tiller check
« on: June 02, 2020, 04:24:58 am »
Hi all, just after some second opinions on this bend, unbraced is as you would expect about 1" reflex so I didn't include. she is at 24" in this shot, aiming for 26".
currently at brace the bottom limb is about 1/8th inch softer than the top.

Edit: some twist in the working limbs that throws the perception of tiller some.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: lever bow tiller check
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 04:35:29 am »
Looks good to me :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 04:41:56 am »
Good looking bend on that style of bow.Lower limb in the end should be slightly stiffer at brace.Around 1/8".
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Rākau

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:09 pm »
thanks Del,
Thanks Ed, that's what i had initially but the tiller has shifted some after a bit of shooting in a bit, I will try to correct.

A follow up question: when the bow is unbraced the bottom limb has a touch less reflex, does this explain the 1/8" softness I see in the bottom limb at brace? and therefore mean that the limbs are actually even?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 05:20:33 pm »
Looks pretty sweet so far.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 05:32:50 pm »
thanks Del,
Thanks Ed, that's what i had initially but the tiller has shifted some after a bit of shooting in a bit, I will try to correct.

A follow up question: when the bow is unbraced the bottom limb has a touch less reflex, does this explain the 1/8" softness I see in the bottom limb at brace? and therefore mean that the limbs are actually even?
If they were even starting out before tillering they are'nt any more.Your lower limb took more set.Some set most times is inevitable.I just go by the bend it is at full draw and the feel of it in the hand and the space balanced between string and belly of both limbs with the lower limb space 1/8" closer at brace.Don't really know what you mean by softness of lower limb other than you meaning it's weaker and shows a bigger gap between string and belly at brace than the top limb.That's a negative tiller,but if it shoots fine/feels fine/hits the mark I would'nt worry about it.
Your bow looks fine to me.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Rākau

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 06:41:09 pm »
thanks for that rundown BowEd and yup by soft lower limb i meant negative tiller at brace. cool, I will just take weight off the top limb to get it back to 26 and that should leave me with a bit of a positive tiller.