Author Topic: Bike tube wrapping questions  (Read 2044 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Bike tube wrapping questions
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 06:48:16 am »
Belly Plate,

Its used to place over your lam stack as it sits in form back down. You lay the plate over your stack that’s taped so it cant slide, then you wrap over this plate not directly on your wood lams. Have a set for each form. Very effective at evening out the pressure from you tubing while wrapping.

HH~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 08:08:54 am »
Always use a pressure strip on any thin FLAT wood backings. These are the most prone to cupping. An ali strip works with some flooring boo laminated to it works well. Make it 1/4  to 5/16th thick to prevent cupping.
With boo always cut boo backing to width plus some wiggle room then drill holes at the tips either side of the boo, use toothpicks inserted into the holes to stop the backing and stack getting out of line. Once this is done cut the rest of the core/belly lams to the same width as the backing strip. With this sort of lay-up there is no need for a pressure strip. The crown on the boo sorts everything out. If the belly lams are left wider than the boo backing you can get poor gluelines.
Check out the airhose and double form method. It really is the ultimate way to laminate. A lot of work to make good forms but you never get any problems.
I glue my glass bows up at 65 - 70 psi with EA40.
My guess at inner tube pressure would be around 60 psi.
I don't cut them up just leave them whole and pull till they bottom out. Wrap one way along the limb from grip to tip. Then wrap in the opposite direction from tip back to grip. This eliminates the layup getting twist glued into it. 4 tubes per lay-up

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 08:43:21 am »
Wrap your hand or arm with a  maxed out inner tube and see how  it feels.  To some degree it all amounts to about the same.  You're not able to crush the wood so as soon as the surfaces contact it all becomes a bit superfluous.
I wouldn't advise doing that for more than a few seconds.
I think the pressure is a lot higher than many think... that is assuming that it is always being pulled as tight as possible whilst being wrapped.
I reckon one can easily be pulling say 30# whist wrapping and if the tube and bow are both 1" wide that's gotta be somewhere nea r30psi. then factor in some overlap or second layer... it's gotta be plenty :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 09:01:54 am »
Wrap one way along the limb from grip to tip. Then wrap in the opposite direction from tip back to grip. This eliminates the layup getting twist glued into it. 4 tubes per lay-up

That's a great tip, thanks.

Mark

bownarra

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »
Wrap one way along the limb from grip to tip. Then wrap in the opposite direction from tip back to grip. This eliminates the layup getting twist glued into it. 4 tubes per lay-up

That's a great tip, thanks.

Mark

No problem :) Glad to help.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 12:59:43 pm »
I've never used bike tubes.  I have always used large rubber bands, up to 3 or 4 of them at each location, see pic.  One of the first time I used this system, would have been in the early 2000's, was on a Bamboo backed Rosewood RD bow.  I had the bow all glued and reflexed waiting for the glue to set, I was using epoxy.  After awhile I heard a bang in my shop.  When I went to see what had happened I saw that the rubber bands had overpowered the Rosewood belly and snapped it.  I supported the belly after that.

Surely an indication of how much pressure rubber can exert.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 01:12:57 pm »
Not many glue ups made but I use the bike tubes for steambendind with a set up like Marc shows in his picture. Got the race bike tubes....no need to slice and very durable that way.

Offline HH~

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 03:55:45 pm »
Bike tubes, bands, surgical tubing all works.

I like tubes, cheap. Have fire hose form too but they no fun really.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW