Author Topic: How to straighten hickory backing strip  (Read 849 times)

Offline Freeflynick

How to straighten hickory backing strip
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:26 am »
Hello!
I recently bought two hickory backing strips, and yesterday found a lovely piece of ipe, but when I took the backing strip out of the plastic I saw that it is bowed. If I hold it on its thin edge, there is about a 3/4" gap in the middle. What is the best way to straighten the strip?
I'm relatively new to this - first time using either material, just done 4 fiberglass tape-backed oak bows so far (two survived!) so haven't had to do any of the finer arts, like straightening yet.
Thanks!
Nick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to straighten hickory backing strip
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:20:55 pm »
3/4" over 72" shouldn't be bad. You can arrange the belly piece so it lays straight down the backing strip without running off.  You could probably heat the backing strip and work out the sideways bend and clamp it but that might not be necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 05:20:10 pm »
The ipe will be very rigid if it’s the full width when you do the glue up. You might be able to wrap the hickory to the ipe during glue up and straighten it out that way.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
 If you have a steam iron try that to flatten, if it is bowed long wise it will pull in when you wrap it.

Offline Freeflynick

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:00:57 am »
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I can just rely on the stiffness of the ipe to hold the bend when strapped up for glueing.
Cheers!
Nick