Author Topic: Need some input on Osage bow, please  (Read 855 times)

Offline Woodwose

Need some input on Osage bow, please
« on: May 16, 2020, 06:44:57 pm »
Hello, I’m lucky enough to have my first piece of Osage, and I would like it to be a bow!  I’ve made a few RO board bows and some hickory self bows (I’ll post them eventually...) but all of those were pretty clean stock.  This piece of Osage on the other hand...well it’s got some character.

My questions:
There is a significant amount of reflex, which is already being stubborn to bend, in the character limb, should I take it out or add reflex to the straight limb?

The string track looks like it will lie to the left if I make the character limb the top (I’m right handed) but as I said, that limb seems to be the stiffer.

I’m not looking for a heavy weight here, but 45-50 would be nice.

Specs:62” t2t
3” stiff handle
1.5” at fades out 9”
Tapered our to 1” which I plan to work down to .5” later

Offline Woodwose

Re: Need some input on Osage bow, please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 06:50:00 pm »
Sorry about the image quality, but I’m not literate enough to do the hosting thing.

This is another pic of the character limb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:39:59 pm »
I would use a caul or form to put whatever shape you want. You could go with straight or a little reflex over the whole bow. Osage Usually bends pretty nice with heat and holds its new shape good. You could make the string line up through center or handle at the same time.

Try not to let heat wrap around to the back side of bow. Heat is good for compression but not tension.

Starting out with a even profile will make tillering much easier. Some people use Eric’s tillering gizmo.

Good Luck. I think you will like the Osage.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 07:41:40 pm »
If it were me...I'd clamp the handle to a reflex caul and heat and clamp both limbs taking out any unwanted lateral bend. You can get the string alignment without loosing any of the snaky area near the tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodwose

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:07:17 pm »
Thanks Bjrogg and Pat B.

Would you two use dry heat with some oil on there?  I don’t have a setup for steaming

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:31:26 pm »
That's exactly what I'd use for corrections and reflex but for a final heat treating I would do it without oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC