Author Topic: Not sure if I can do anything with this?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline jamesh76

Re: Not sure if I can do anything with this?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 03:57:10 pm »
Worked on this a bit more today. Had a few splits on edge I needed to get past. I flattened the handle and fade area. Glued a fairly thin piece on the back. May add 1 more. Looking it over. I think I can get 1- 1 1/4" wide handle. Limbs are about 1 1/4" wide at end of fades. Limbs aren't real thick. 3/8 probably. Going too see what I can do for a profile. Pretty sure I will do bendy handle and build up grip and a rest with leather.  Looks like it will come out pretty light if I can make something work of it. That's ok though kids can shoot it once I feel its stable and I got a bunch of 25-35 spine 5/16 birch shafts.  I will get it on the long string before long and see what I have.  May need to shorten it some. As sits will be 62" ntn

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 07:28:13 pm »
This thing is a mess. Going to see what happens. May have not been  dry enough way back whenever I started messing with it. Had no clue what to even do back then. I will use this as a learning step. Several cracks running longways with the limb. I steamed and put on my caul. Had trouble getting it straight. Used dry heat to straighten 1 limb. It's pretty good now. The top limb didnt hold its shape. Will probably try to heat it again on the caul. Then heat the belly. It's going to be pretty light by the time I get tiller done. Its maybe 25# on the long string at 22#. Probably shouldnt of pulled it that far. However, I figured it would break. Osage some tough stuff.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »
 Finally broke it. Seemed really dry. May have not let it rehydrate long enough after heat bending. Learned alot on this little torn up stave. Broke across the bow about 7" out from the fade. There was a knot there also.

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 06:46:33 am »
Looks great to me! I think you could real easy make anything you want. I wouldn't worry about linear drying checks on the belly much unless they dove off to the edge. Put some backset in it when you line up the tips and heat treat the belly all in one shot. 64 inches tip to tip with overlays can easily achieve 63 1/4 inches between the knocks. With a four inch handle and 1.25 inch fades, you can have a stiff handle no problem. Good lookin stick