Author Topic: Black Walnut Tips  (Read 1154 times)

Offline DC

Black Walnut Tips
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:25:21 pm »
I just glued some BW tips on to match the BW wedges. Now I'm wondering if it is tough enough for tips. It seems to split rather easily. Any had any failures with BW tips?

Offline PatM

Re: Black Walnut Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 12:49:07 pm »
By itself it seems a bit risky without some nock reinforcement.

Some old school laminated flight bows show walnut being used as the main portion of a glued on recurve.   They were essentially wedged in between the backing  strips and the belly material.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 02:23:54 pm »
Generally, walnut is quite a ways down my overlay list.

That said, not all walnut is created equal. Some is more dense than others.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 04:46:23 pm »
I just glued some BW tips on to match the BW wedges. Now I'm wondering if it is tough enough for tips. It seems to split rather easily. Any had any failures with BW tips?

I used walnut for overlays on my second bow, a 37# red oak pyramid bow. I went with pin nocks and they have been fine so far, but that only includes 150-200 shots. I don't think I would recommend using it on anything with more draw weight than mine, it is pretty soft as hardwoods go. If you don't like them as-is you could always thin them down and put a layer of something harder over top, keeping the walnut for the accent colour.

Mark

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 04:49:29 pm »
I have used black walnut on a couple of bows for overlays and I have had no problems with it.

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 05:23:09 pm »
Not 1st choice for tip's. Underlays OK. If its a huntin bow I would go with a tougher dense closed grain wood. Walnut is rather open grained and real soft.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 06:10:12 pm »
I glued up strips of Black Walnut with a strip of Ocean Spray

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 05:25:30 am »
I've used it as well just for color on top of multi wood stack overlay. Again, not on a hunt bow however. Too soft, scrape finish off on it and itll suk water. Too open grained for me.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 08:10:40 am »
I've used black walnut for tip overlays with no problems. This was with B-50, B-55 strings. I don't use FF material.
DC, the way you added the ocean spray in with the BL should work just fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 10:44:32 am »
Not that i have very much expereinc for the most part but I have made several bows and used BW  for  the tips. They were all worked well.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?