Author Topic: Yew and Ash youth bows  (Read 804 times)

Offline Gunnar

Yew and Ash youth bows
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:06:21 pm »
I haven't made a bow in a while, because I have been working on a lot of house projects. I decided to work on an ash stave that has been sitting around for quite while. I have never worked with ash, and was very surprised at how easy it was to work. 10 times easier than vine maple. The stave had quite a bit of prop twist, which made the tillering process a little challenging. By the time I got the tiller to the point where I was satisfied I had scraped the bow down to 35lbs, which led me to the decision to make it into a youth bow. I cut about 10 inches off each end making it 43in ntn and re-tillered it to 17lbs@19in. I have 2 nephews (brothers) that are 2 years apart, so naturally I had to make a second bow, which is from pacific yew. The stave hand some natural deflex and a little squiggle in the top limb. I left all the sapwood on to ensure it would stand up to some abuse, and ended up with about 2 rings of heartwood by the time I got it tillered below 20lbs. It's 43in ntn and 19lbs@19 inches.
      The ash took a bit of set, which probably wouldn't have happened had I heat treated the belly, but I already had it down to 2 rings, and didn't want to make it any thinner. These are the first kids bows I've made. Definitely a different ballgame than bigger bows, but super fun to make.

IMG_6166 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6167 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6168 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6170 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6207 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6173 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6175 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6181 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
IMG_6201 by Gunnar Christensen, on Flickr
"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." -Henry David Thoreau