Author Topic: Aghhhh - bamboo backed ipe keeps lifting at the fades... Help!  (Read 3972 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Aghhhh - bamboo backed ipe keeps lifting at the fades... Help!
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2020, 08:19:12 am »
  I would change your handle to a bulbous shape and make the fades slope through the entire glued area.  Also wrap the handle itself in  linen cord set in epoxy to support the scarf joint.   That's not a great splice technique no matter what your glue choice is.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2020, 03:36:41 pm »
Thanks - I think I will do that and also glue something on the back of the handle.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 07:36:32 am »
Ok ... here we go... so I now have a total of 6 thin laminations on this instead of the old handle. This includes the bamboo I have added to the back to try and help protect my scarf joint! All the lambs were ground to a thin end when I glued them up with West 105 plus fillers. Last layer I did with GFlex - which is much easier to mix up.

I braced the bow at 5.5 inches and had a look. Doesn’t seem too bad. The lams have increased the draw weight a little I feel and pushed this tiller further to the tips which I think is good. I can’t see any flex in the handle when I draw it a little ... but don’t want to push my luck at this stage.

I also plugged my arrow cut out at Bownarra’s suggestion. If you look carefully in the pics I have put some green lines where the handle lams fade into the bow.

Couple of questions ...

1) should I build up the handle further? Might go with a bulbous handle at Pat’s suggestion.

2) I want to blend the bamboo on the back - but I know that this is a danger area. When people talk about taking off the rind from bamboo where can I get a better idea of what this involves and where/ when to stop?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:42:10 am by Tommy D »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 02:32:34 pm »
You have a better transition now
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 04:32:59 pm »
You don't need to do a true bulbous handle but having the side profile match a typical bulbous handle/fade transition will work well for the shape you have now.  A long gradual slope from the center, which you have now.  Just smooth it out.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
Ok ... cleaned her up a bit ... took the tiller further out to the tips and corrected a bit of twist. It’s now 59inch nock to nock unbraced. And 35lbs at 26 inches. Think the lower limb might still be a little stiff ... but it’s an inch and a half shorter than the upper limb.

Put a few arrows through and seems good. Hoping the new handle and fades will hold together. Here are some pics...

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 01:51:30 pm »
Here’s one of the Mama giving it a go. And a close up of the temporary handle wrap! Please don’t call me out on the temporary use of non- primitive electrical tape to hold the leather binding temporarily.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:55:54 pm by Tommy D »