Author Topic: Anyone used pear for a selfbow?  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Flntknp17

Anyone used pear for a selfbow?
« on: April 15, 2020, 08:42:52 am »
All,

About 15 years ago, a neighbor lost a large pear tree in a wind storm.  I took the straight part of the trunk and split out a pair of nice looking staves and they have been sitting in the rafters ever since.......anyone ever use pear for making a bow?  I am thinking that it might need sinew or rawhide backing since IIRC it seemed a bit brittle and not terribly dense when I split it. 

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. 

Matt

Offline RyanY

Re: Anyone used pear for a selfbow?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:08:57 am »
I haven't seen pear being used. Some fruiting trees make great wood for bows but commercially grown trees can be very soft and unsuitable. Best advice is to keep it long and wide to start. You could take a small piece, plane it square, dry it in the oven or microwave, and measure its density in water to get a better idea of where to start.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 10:37:36 am »
Should be well cured by now!  The fruit and nut trees are supposed to be good bow wood, but as Ryan said long and wide.  I would think a draw weight around 45#-50# would work well, the basic "beginner pattern" Paul Comstock has in "The Bent Stick" perhaps.  Worked well on my first hickory bow.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:27 pm »
I did Read somewhere on here that people used It, typ: " pear as bow Wood primitive Archer" on google and you Will find it

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:47:45 pm »
I made a 48” long 38lb @ 23” draw bow from a bradford pear tree that was only 1” diameter.  Heat treated and took less than 1” set. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:39:27 pm »
  I tried a bradford pear and found it extremely brittle, I never made it to brace height.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 07:14:54 pm »
I think LEBHUNTFISH did it. I will point him this way.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
I've heard that Bradford pear is pretty junky for selfbows. never tried it myself though

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 07:26:58 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.   I believe this was a Bartlett Pear and not a Bradford Pear.  I was planning on making a basic white wood bow similar to what I do in maple or ash and back it with rawhide before I get too far into the tillering.  Probably will be 66-68" long and 1.75" wide for half of the limb length and tapering to 1/2" nocks.

Matt

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 07:36:27 pm »
  The wood has very nice tone if you decide to make a xylophone instead of a bow.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 08:53:35 pm »
I've made 2 Bradford pear bows and broke one with Pearly at Marshall. Out of the three I worked I found it to be similar to working hickory a far as tools go. I think it might be a little weaker in tension and the compression seams to be good though. I found that if the crown is too high it doesn't work out well. On the one adult size bow I made I found that a slightly rounded belly and a flatter back worked well. A flatter wider stave across the back seamed to be the best. All of the bows were selfbows that were unbaked. The wood was very springy and seams to make a nice, very light physical weight bow. A slight trapezoidal shape would be best. A wider back and narrower belly, unlike hickory.

I have a couple more staves. If when I make another one I plan to sinew back or bamboo back it. I think it will turn out really good.
I like the wood but it's not for a beginner. As far as dimensions, I layed them out 2in wide from handle fade out 1/3 of the limb then a straight taper to 1/2in tips. Length was about 66in. As for bending/straightening I used both steam and dry heat with oil. Both worked well for what I need to accomplish. Oh, I treated it like any other white wood. Back of bow, just under bark and cambien layer. Hope this helps.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!