Author Topic: White Oak Holmegaard bow Character issue  (Read 937 times)

Offline PatrickH

White Oak Holmegaard bow Character issue
« on: April 10, 2020, 12:39:46 pm »
So... I fell and split this guy a few days ago and am currently roughing out the dimensions before letting it season in my attic. It is currently 72in ntn, It has 6inches of non bending handle/fades. that widens to 3inches at the fades and tapers to 2in wide over 17in to the mid limb. Then it cuts in to a stiff non bending outer limb that is 1in and tapers to 1/2in over 16in to the nocks. I like the character it has currently, but it has a large knot in one limb that worries me a bit, how would your guys handle that knot? I know to leave some extra area around it, but should I cut off the top of it (and violate the growth ring?) or drill a hole in it? I dont know what to do with that guy. Any advice would be helpful, I have made several board bows but this is my first split stave character bow so any advice would help. Thanks in advance!
Muskegon Mi.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: White Oak Holmegaard bow Character issue
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »
Looks like that knot is grown over.I'd leave it alone.Treat is as large pin knot.If it's close enough to the tip within 8" to 10" it could remain stiff.You've got enough length and width of working limbs on your bow to make your idea work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline peacefullymadewarbows

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 01:51:50 pm »
I 2nd BowEd. Doesn't look so bad. Probably just leave it as is. White oak is a very nice wood for tension.

Offline PatrickH

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 02:18:59 pm »
Okay thanks guys, I was worried cause it's in the working part of the limb and is pretty big (larger than a quarter) but if you think it's fine I will give it a go. Thanks
Muskegon Mi.