Author Topic: Needing help with my hickery quirentine bow!  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Fox

Needing help with my hickery quirentine bow!
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:53:20 pm »
Heya, so this stick has been giving me some problems... so its 64" ttt and about 1 3/4" wide at mid tapering to 1/2" right now  8" handle and fades. It has been heat treated  3 times, and its at about 55# at 18" im aiming for 55# at 26".  so my questions are , so its taken 1.5" set already and its only at 18" i am a little worried about that, anything i can do to keep it from taking a ton more? or is it fine? the other thing is that one limb has taken about half an inch more set then the other and that same limb is about 1/16" thicker for some reason. So ive been strugling with that limb quite a bit. the limb on the left is the one thats bending more but is also 1/16 thicker than the other limb.. is that okay??    sorry so many possibly silly questions still quite new. thanks for any advice. 

https://flic.kr/p/2iNEpKg     https://flic.kr/p/2iNEq5u       https://flic.kr/p/2iNJRD6

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline RyanY

Re: Needing help with my hickery quirentine bow!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 05:58:33 am »
Is it dry?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:04:48 am »
Hmm.  That does sound kind of strange.  Your dimensions sound fine to me.  I'm wondering some basic questions...Is the stave seasoned properly...is it dry enough?  When you heat treat the bow, do you give it a slow deep browning without using an oil?

Did you bring the bow's overall length into reflex before tillering it...that is reflexed the body of the bow without regard to your recurves?

I'm curious about the third picture.  Is that your brace height?  That isn't the amount of set you speak of, right?  Brace height looks low, if so. 

It does seem odd though because your bow, dimensions, and it's appearance look very good.

Hope it turns out well for you.
1’—>1’

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:57 am »
thanks for the replies. It should be dry it has seasoned for a year and didnt check at all when heat treating. The thinner limb i believe had a little natural reflex in it and the thicker one a little deflex... but i heated both of those to about an inch of reflex before adding the recurves... this was the first time ive heat treated and i did not use oil.. i did it over coals the first to times and with a heat gun once. i also steamed the handle to get the string on the centerline... so should i just keep tillering it? Thanks

-Fox

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 09:47:45 am »
Oh and yeah the brace hight thats only about 4" just too hard for me to get a higher brace on right now. (lol)

here is unstrung profile   https://flic.kr/p/2iNPuw2
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:51:52 am by Fox »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:19 am »
sounds like the moisture content is high in the bow,,
maybe put in heat box for a bit,,

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 11:41:07 am »
That difference in limb thickness is most likely due to unequal working properties in the stave/bow. I've noticed it in a lot of my stave bows, where I always use the stump end of the stave as the lower limb (whether reflexed or deflexed), that it'll  sometime come in a little thinner or narrower.

Set isn't bad for the bow's profile. I like that! Good luck...….Art

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 11:53:32 am »
The difference in thickness between the limbs is because (I guess ) you are making it look balanced at brace as if it were a perfectly straight stave to begin with.
When one limb is deflexed and the other reflexed the full draw profile should reflect this intial shape eg. the deflexed limb should look like it is bending too much and the reflexed limb will look stiff.
Nowadays I don't bother playing with unbalanced limbs. I will always get the tips even at floor tiller/long string stage then tiller as normal :) It is a lot easier!

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 04:17:56 pm »
Okay thanks  artcher1 And bownarra. That makes me better.. less worried now. Ill post some pics when im done

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 04:43:13 pm »
I’ve had the same experience. If one limb is more deflexed but you tiller the bow to look normal at draw, the deflexed limb comes out thick