Author Topic: Bamboo backed Ipe  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bamboo backed Ipe
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 07:38:42 am »
A couple of months ago I started this thread about a bamboo backed Ipe fail.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67596.msg949420.html#msg949420

Well, the guy gluing up the staves sent me a replacement and I got it finished up.  He's pretty active on YouTube so if anyone is thinking about ordering on, PM me and I'll confirm who he is.

Exactly why would anyone order something from this guy since he doesn't seem to know what he is doing............

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 07:47:42 am »
I was hoping he meant that he would reveal the name as a warning.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 08:14:23 am »
Mesophilic....That looks like the stave I sent you.At 5% moisture at your place your hickory bows should be shooting a lot faster than 160 fps.I imagine it did'nt check any yet though.Sure would like to see you get a shot at a local elk.
I hope it is'nt costing you much getting bows from that other fella.It's no wonder it is hand shocky.Poor tapering on glue up there.It should come off form damn near in tlller.Looks like an awful thick backing of bamboo on it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:42:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline scp

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2020, 10:04:31 am »
Exactly why would anyone order something from this guy since he doesn't seem to know what he is doing............
It might not have been the gule-up issue at all. Hasty and incorrect tillering can ruin a perfectly acceptable bamboo backed bow blank. In my limited experience with bamboo backed bows, the deflexed fade area belly can be difficult to tiller and it can be suddenly overpowered by the bamboo backing, especially if the backing is comparatively too thick for the belly there.

For any inexperienced person who is too eager to make the bow blank bend, it would be better to start tillering from the bottom of the upper third to the bottom of the middle third of the limb first. Even there it would be better to use the long and even strokes of a scraper. Most strokes must be as long as possible and at least almost half the length of each limb.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2020, 11:35:52 am »
A couple of months ago I started this thread about a bamboo backed Ipe fail.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,67596.msg949420.html#msg949420

Well, the guy gluing up the staves sent me a replacement and I got it finished up.  He's pretty active on YouTube so if anyone is thinking about ordering on, PM me and I'll confirm who he is.

I'll throw the name out there...Kramer Ammons...you can find him on Youtube and by his website.  I took a chance and won't do that again.  He seemes very passionate, and I've spent more money on crappy staves than he charged.  Live and learn I suppose.  To his credit, he sent me this second one with no hassles and even ate the shipping charge.

Mesophilic....That looks like the stave I sent you.At 5% moisture at your place your hickory bows should be shooting a lot faster than 160 fps.I imagine it did'nt check any yet though.Sure would like to see you get a shot at a local elk.
I hope it is'nt costing you much getting bows from that other fella.It's no wonder it is hand shocky.Poor tapering on glue up there.It should come off form damn near in tlller.Looks like an awful thick backing of bamboo on it.

Yeah,  it's that last hickory stave you sent me.  I'm about ready to make some saw dust with it.  Bern a challenge with the covid homeschooling, my kid serms to need some sort of attention right at the moment I need to concentrate on something.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 03:08:00 pm »
Well, gentlemen this is about to be a moot point as I'm about 60 seconds away from chopping up this bow for the wood pile.

In trying to get rid of that hinge, thr ipe on part of the limb is almost as thim as the bamboo and it's maybe at about 20# draw.  Don't trust it enough now to let Little-philic shoot it.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 01:38:05 am »
....Looks like an awful thick backing of bamboo on it.

...and that fact will make bad things worse!
Frank from Germany...