Author Topic: New Fire hardened hickory bow  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

New Fire hardened hickory bow
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:29 pm »
Its 62" ttt and around 55lbs at 26". Holds around 1" of reflex. Shot it yesterday in the rain with no finish and didnt loose any reflex. I know fire hardening is just a deep heat treat but all feelings (about keith shannon) aside it does do some amazing things to the wood. Let me know what ya think! Full draw pic to come...

Offline Hrothgar

Re: New Fire hardened hickory bow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 07:21:31 pm »
Looks good from here. Anymore I fire harden all mine, I've found it tends to make the biggest difference with the elm and hackberry bows I make.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Enharrington

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
that looks awesome man.  i’ve had good results too.  but the real test of the hydrophobic qualities will be this summer shooting in some humid conditions.
"I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear"-doc holiday

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:00:13 am »
Nice looking bow, congrats 👍🏻

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 12:51:45 pm »
Looks good. I use to fire my own hand cut bamboo over coals after it seasoned 6 months or so. Made a biiig difference.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:07:22 pm »
Jake - You really did a good job with that hic-stick! That’s about 5 more pounds than I can get out of my 62” Mockernut hickory. Even with heat treating, I’ll lose most of the 3” of induced reflex.

Just for comparison, would you please post the specs (type of wood, mass weight, width, & thickness)?

Again, excellent work!
H

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:08:34 pm »
Its 62" ttt and around 55lbs at 26". Holds around 1" of reflex. Shot it yesterday in the rain with no finish and didnt loose any reflex. I know fire hardening is just a deep heat treat but all feelings (about keith shannon) aside it does do some amazing things to the wood. Let me know what ya think! Full draw pic to come...

Looks good.  Shooting the bow in the rain for a while wouldn't be proof enough, a good heat-treating would do the same thing.  Leave it outside in the rain for a day and then shoot it.  If that doesn't bother it then even I would have to admit defeat  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 02:38:38 pm »
shooting a bow for two days in the rain at a tournament is a good test,
when I was in Alaska hunting my bow was in the rain and ocean spray for a week,,that was harsh, most the finish came off,
it was osage so it made it ok,,

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 06:51:52 pm »
Real test is to shoot in high heat and humidity over several hours strung to brace. Then you will know.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW