Author Topic: Yew flat bow questions.  (Read 861 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Yew flat bow questions.
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:28:39 pm »
I'll start by saying I don't have a lot of experience with yew. Only making one other bow before this one that failed on me before I could finish it. The flat bow that I am working on now is 60" nock to nock and I am down to the point of fine tiller on it now. I am planning tip overlays as I have it tapered down to 1/2" at the tips plus I think it looks nice. Here are some questions I have, maybe you guys can help out.

1. This stave has some slight reflex in one limb. Maybe 2" from the tip it has about 1/2" of natural reflex. Would it be smarter to straighten it or go ahead and add more reflex then mimic it on the other side?

2. I will need to steam this one no matter as it has a little wiggle that I placed right at the handle to make it easier to remove. Would you do this before or after straightening/ reflexing the tips.

3. Tip overlays before or after reflexing possibly?

4. My original intention was to back this bow, no reason in particular I just "like" sinew backing. I know that this would need to be done after straitening and reflexing but I've never done tip overlays with a sinew back. Some advice there would be nice.

5. I realize this a shorter bow, adding reflex should I decide to go that way will add what realistically? I am only looking for about 50# at 28" from this bow if possible.

thanks for any help
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Yew flat bow questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 12:02:48 am »
1. Yep reflex that other limb to match:)

2. What do you mean ‘little wiggle’ in what orientation?

3. I put overlays on when I get to about 18” of the tiller, when the chances of the stave becoming a bow are pretty high. I don’t wanna waste time putting on overlays if the bow is gonna be garbage.

4. Yeah you can do sinew with overlays. I would put the overlays Down first so it won’t get in the way when laying down your backing.

5. Well the sinew will add a little reflex in for you. #50@28” for a 60”ntn yew is very doable. For that I’d leave those limbs about 1.5” wide. And I would also suggest like a west coast or Nootka style nock(bout 3/4” wide tapered peg nock) while make for some good lines and sinewing.

Anyways hope that helps. I’m sure other will chime it with what they would do. Great thing about a forum.

- Bryce
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:31 am »
I followed the crown on this stave, so the tips ended up being slightly offset. Not very much, maybe 3/4" from nock to nock. I can steam the handle and pull that out no problem, I was just throwing it in there.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 12:32:46 am »
+ 1
what Bryce said. Not sure about sinewing a bow with 60" long ...

What is the reason for the backing?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:57:45 am »
+ 1
what Bryce said. Not sure about sinewing a bow with 60" long ...

What is the reason for the backing?

If anything I’d go with silk, rawhide if he wants. But he said he just likes sinew.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:54:15 am »
backing is just for fun! I do it because I can more than anything.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:29 am »
Here is where I am with it currently. temporary nocks and string. 4.5" brace height. I'm fine tillering now and I realize I have a couple of flat spots that I am dealing with now. So far I am tickled with it.  I've strung and shot a few arrows with it since these pictures and the one thing I can say is that it is FAST. Much faster than my 67" osage bow at the same poundage of 47# roughly.  The tips are at 3/4" and I noticing that one limb has developed some deflex, not sure how that happened as when I started it had reflex.  I am still wondering the advantages of steaming and reflexing this one. I do have a little straightening to do with the steamer to get it "perfectly" straight but it isn't much. As it is the string is for the most part centerline as is.  I just wanted a few pictures here for you guys to see what I see.  Not sure why it posted the pictures all wonky, sorry about that.