Author Topic: Nydam viking bow  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Nydam viking bow
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 08:57:05 pm »
The original bow was thought to be close to #100. That would justify the length. For example, I just made an English longbow for a customer that wanted 60#@26". I made it 66" long and it shoots quite fast with no hand shock. had i made it longer I would have been compromising that performance. Dylanholderman has a good point, I think you could follow that advice to a degree, as long as you are going for a higher draw weight and longer draw length. The thicker, bigger tips don't help in this regard. There is a little more mass in the outer limbs than your average bow which wouldn't really be a problem on a warbow but when you lighten the draw weight you really start to feel those tips come home unless the the bow is proportionally shorter. The first one I made was 72" long and 50#@30". It was slow and shocky. I remade it at 68" and it was soo much better.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Nydam viking bow
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 09:05:28 pm »
Dylanholderman good advice, thanks. A stiffer handle section might also alleviate some of the limb twist which evidently comes with the side nock.
Since I don't anticipate drawing 80-100# (the shoulders are way too old to try that), probably would be a good idea to reduce the length by 5 or 6".
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.